Savage 10FP question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anybody ever seen a Savage 10FP with a 18" factory barrel?

I picked one up; it's a pre-accutrigger model. I guess it could've been cut down, but it sure as hell looks factory to me. Any thoughts? Google didn't reveal much.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting. I will do some more googling...

I originally thought it was a 20" barrel until I got it home and detail cleaned it. It says 18" on it and is in really good shape. It is pretty sweet looking with the short barrel in the Choate stock.

I ordered some glass for it last night. I can't wait to work up some loads...

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sending you a PM, Doc.

Pictures are coming. I'm going to spend a few days doing the GAP camo and make it all pretty like. :D I might wait until the scope comes in because it's going to get dolled up, too.

It's one of the Choate ultimate sniper stocks. I had one on my Rem 700 before. They are tanks...not exactly a Mcmillan, but still pretty cool.

I can't find crap on it through Google. Maybe my search-fu is weak. I might call Savage to find out.

It is definitely a factory barrel, though. It says 18" on it. The recessed crown looks just like the other Savages I've fondled.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have one of the Ultimate Sniper stocks on my 700 too. I just need to do some prettying on it. Maybe have it duracoated or something and then do some kind of camo. Who knows. Right now I think it's ugly. The stock is OD, and the rifle and scope are black. But before I do much I need to shoot it more, I'm sure it's capable of a lot better than I've gotten out of it so far.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree, the OD is not pretty. And holy hell are they heavy. And the grip is ridiculously oversized. But I still like the stocks. :D

If you do Krylon right, it works pretty well. I've got a pretty effective methodology with home-made templates & surface prep. It's both disconcerting and liberating when you take $10 worth of spray paint to a nice rifle.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not much on camo for rifles, (or anything for that matter), but I plan on putting a new barrel and scope, maybe even a new stock on this rifle at some point, so the idea of trying a camo scheme or something doesn't bother me with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom