Smoked Brisket Ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, the wife is expecting me to smoke a brisket this weekend since I won't be on call. I have some old recipes that I'm not entirely happy with. Do any of you have a failsafe rub receipe/technique that works every time? My only requirement is she doesn't like spicy.

I have an Oklahoma Joe's offset smoker and Hickory...if that matters.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, the wife is expecting me to smoke a brisket this weekend since I won't be on call. I have some old recipes that I'm not entirely happy with. Do any of you have a failsafe rub receipe/technique that works every time? My only requirement is she doesn't like spicy.

I have an Oklahoma Joe's offset smoker and Hickory...if that matters.

the guys over at amazingribs.com have more information and rubs than you'll ever want. Highly recommend them in general, but admit i've only done one brisket and i went the 'Franklin' route.

here is a video about Franklin's approach. It's a series of videos on how he does it (and he is regarded as one of the top brisket guys in the US).

He prefers the 'texas' style with just salt and pepper. I must admit, it was better than i thought it'd be for being so simple.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a bottle of Head Country Marinade and a bottle of Head Country Championship Seasoning. Cover your brisket good with the marinade and
then cover liberally with the seasoning, then sprinkle a little more marinade on and mix the marinade and rub into a "mud like" covering for the
brisket.

Put the brisket on a preheated smoker running about 225 to 250. Hickory, Pecan and Oak are all good smoke woods for brisket. With an internal
probe or instant read thermometer, checking occasionally, cook the brisket until the internal temp is around 155-160. Then wrap the brisket tightly
in foil and return to the smoker until the internal temp is around 200-205. Remove the brisket, pour off the excess juices and seal back up in foil.
Place in dry ice chest with a towl or newspapers under it. Let it rest for at lease 2 hours. Then if you like a dry bark on it you can put it back on the
smoker (or on a grill) until the bark is set.

Since there are two muscles that make up a whole brisket and the grain runs differently in each, it is best to separate the "point" (muscle on top) from
the "flat" (muscle on the bottom) and slice them both against the grain. I have done many a brisket like this and they always turn out moist, tender and
delish!

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a bottle of Head Country Marinade and a bottle of Head Country Championship Seasoning. Cover your brisket good with the marinade and
then cover liberally with the seasoning, then sprinkle a little more marinade on and mix the marinade and rub into a "mud like" covering for the
brisket.

Put the brisket on a preheated smoker running about 225 to 250. Hickory, Pecan and Oak are all good smoke woods for brisket. With an internal
probe or instant read thermometer, checking occasionally, cook the brisket until the internal temp is around 155-160. Then wrap the brisket tightly
in foil and return to the smoker until the internal temp is around 200-205. Remove the brisket, pour off the excess juices and seal back up in foil.
Place in dry ice chest with a towl or newspapers under it. Let it rest for at lease 2 hours. Then if you like a dry bark on it you can put it back on the
smoker (or on a grill) until the bark is set.

Since there are two muscles that make up a whole brisket and the grain runs differently in each, it is best to separate the "point" (muscle on top) from
the "flat" (muscle on the bottom) and slice them both against the grain. I have done many a brisket like this and they always turn out moist, tender and
delish!
I just do salt, pepper, and garlic on a brisket. I use the same cooking method about except, when I put it in foil, I add about 1/2 cup of apple juice. The flat is better sliced, the point is better chopped. I cook them separated.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done fancy commercial rubs, homemade rubs, and the Franklin approach of simply S&P. They all have their appeal and for a crowd/someone that doesn't care for spiciness, the Franklin is the way to go. Let the meat and the smoke do all the talking with application of good technique and time.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma joe offset smokers are bad about uneven heat and need tuning plates to even up heat. especially the newer models made with thin sheetmetal. original Okla joe smokers all used 1/4in plate steel and held their heat more evenly, but still need tuning plates.

the best Okla joe models to buy are the originals made in Perry Oklahoma with 1/4in plate steel. IMHO the current new thin steel Okla joe models are not even close to the same quality. buy an old one if you get the chance.

temp at dial is not the same as temp at cooking level. forward temps could be 75f higher than towards back. you want to cook your brisket at 225f to 275f measured at cooking levels. long even temps is what you want .. green hickory is the preferred choice to avoid bitterness of too much smoke.

cooking times depends on how marbled brisket is and weight. trim excess fat and cook fat side up in the center of grill area. if using dry rub, put as much as possible on as some of the rub will drop off. what type of spice is not as important as the cooking process. my preference is to cook until internal temps at thickest is about 185f.

best results are from briskets not covered in foil .. smoked all the way. but harder to keep from getting too much smoke. if you use green hickory, smoke will not be nearly as strong. which is pretty important when doing a 8-12 hour smoke.

here's my Oklahoma Joe's smoker made in Perry Okla with 1/4in steel.
00_J0_J_6q_RJZN1m9_HU_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with letting the meat and the smoke do all the talking.

I don't use rubs or marinades or a bunch of seasoning. If I want added flavor, I use a good BBQ sauce when the meat is on the plate.

(I don't marinade steak either. Yuck!)

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
another technique i've come to appreciate for most meats is salting it early. If you can let the salt sit for several hours it will penetrate deeper into the meat and have a better flavor. Beef especially needs salt.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another source for recipes is http://www.smokingmeatforums.com, you can search from the bar at the top. Some variations out there, search until you find something that fits your taste buds.

We vary back and forth between rubs and no rubs depending on our mood of the day

Tried some things that were not our favorite, but never got to a point where I could not eat my mistakes.

Let us know what you decided on and how it came out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom