Smoked Brisket Ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The pastrami came out tasting really good, but spent too much time in the smoker. IMHO pastrami should be firm enough to slice thinly. This ended up really moist, but it was fall apart tender.
I'll do another for sure.
Forgot to take a pic coming off the smoker, but here is the last piece.
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160823_5c209d10fa5e0d4067d574f055c765a2.jpg

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The pastrami came out tasting really good, but spent too much time in the smoker. IMHO pastrami should be firm enough to slice thinly. This ended up really moist, but it was fall apart tender.
I'll do another for sure.

What internal temp did you cook it to? I have a brisket flat brining in the fridge for pastrami. Will be smoked this weekend.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What internal temp did you cook it to? I have a brisket flat brining in the fridge for pastrami. Will be smoked this weekend.
The recipe I used just called out cooking for 6 hours @ 225F. It didn't specify an internal temp. Left mine on for 10 hrs. Too long.
Some recipes say to soak the corned beef overnight to eliminate some of the salt. We didn't and the salt taste stood out in the final product. Next time we will soak.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The recipe I used just called out cooking for 6 hours @ 225F. It didn't specify an internal temp. Left mine on for 10 hrs. Too long.
Some recipes say to soak the corned beef overnight to eliminate some of the salt. We didn't and the salt taste stood out in the final product. Next time we will soak.

I was wondering if you did the soak. Probably better to run it to a internal of 165 and then start checking it. At 185 and higher is where brisket starts to get fall apart tender, lower should slice better if you want to cut it thin.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

I'm curing mine from scratch and will likely have to soak in ice water a couple hours. It's already been soaking 9 days. LOL

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

I would highly, HIGHLY recommend the desalinating soak. If I remember mine correctly, we soaked overnight and it was still very salty, it was not appetizing at all. I have been meaning to try it again. Mine was also very tough. I don't remember what temp I cooked it to, but it obviously needed longer. Everyone else told me it was ok, but I know better - it sucked.

Thanks for the input.

I'm curing mine from scratch and will likely have to soak in ice water a couple hours. It's already been soaking 9 days. LOL

Mine cured for 5 days and wasn't QUITE finished. Yours should be just fine by now, unless it's a HUGE hunk of meat. I personally don't think a couple-hour soak is enough. I think you're going to need at least a full day. That's my recommendation.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I didn't make this but it was pretty darn good. Mr Burns sandwich from Q39 (cubed burnt ends, chipotle bbq sauce, pepper jack cheese, onion straws , toasted bun). I couldn't even eat half of it!

upload_2016-8-24_0-10-22.png

That's the only way you can get their burnt ends now. Used to be able to get them by the pound like this...

upload_2016-8-24_0-11-41.png

Those were spectacular! Best burnt ends ever!

Latest posts

Top Bottom