Smooth bore 44

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone had a little Rock Island listed the other day but I was looking at something else. If I pack any more metal I’m going to show up on the magnetometer on the ISS.
I’d suggest something like a little S&W Airweight but that may be more than you’re wanting to spend on a gun for yard work. I’m sure something will come your way.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any small light 38 or 357 is a good choice for snake duty. My father use to carry an old Rossi 5 shot that worked great for snakes. First two rounds snake shot, next 3 HP for larger problems.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All ya gots to do is get ya another barrel, chuck it up in a vice, then use yer drill press to make yer very own smooth bore.

Follow me fer more bubba gun smithin tips.

Now nothing mentioned about reducing the rifling in the bore to microscopic levels.
You could smooth it up but still have the look of rifling.

Still rifled and not completely smooth.
Then there is the leaded up barrel that looks like a smooth bore and acts like one if you shot lead bird shot through it.

Not hard to make the barrel lead fouled.
My dad never cleaned his guns and I got his 357 after his death that was a leaded smooth bore.

I would also think a very short barrel would work well for bird shot, I would think not much spin in a 2.5" long barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom