So Begins Stage two

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going to store it at your house, get one of those carport type metal buildings to park it under. I would get that covered it halfway down the sides if not full. You do not want to leave it out in the weather. We had one for a couple of years, but my wife hated it. Camping to my wife is staying at an Embassy Suites.

So having to stay at a La Quinta is positively slumming it, right??

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going to store it at your house, get one of those carport type metal buildings to park it under. I would get that covered it halfway down the sides if not full. You do not want to leave it out in the weather. We had one for a couple of years, but my wife hated it. Camping to my wife is staying at an Embassy Suites.

A full shelter is down the road. In the meantime we bought a UV resistant full custom cover that goes clear to the ground. Has zippers placed so we can still get into the door without having to remove the cover.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang, I wish I could buy an RV and take off, I had a travel trailer and drove to Arizona to see some of the western history but I kept falling asleep driving-maybe 4-5 times and the wife would holler my name and I'd wake up headed into the oncoming lane and I'd say whoops and drive on.
It wasn't too pleasant for her or me so we sold the RV and now we'll fly to our destination or take a cruise... Bummer.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes. The pickup is sagging a little in the pic because the bars had not been added to the hitch yet. Mechanic had to go get the hitch pins for the locks. Level now.
I got 10.5 mpg with a 5mph tail wind. Put the cruise on 63 mph, and it maintained the speed easily for 100 miles up I35. I was a little worried about how it would pull. Pleasantly surprised!

Have you considered air bags for the truck?

My F250 sagged more than I liked, so I put them on it. It was the best modification I've ever done to a truck.

My in laws just bought a camper similar to yours to do the same thing.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you probably already know this .. when towing a trailer that weighs as much if not more than tow vehicle.
having the ability to slow down by applying trailer's brakes first and/or at same time makes a HUGE difference for Stopping in adverse conditions.

there's a lot to the old saw ... it's not what how much your truck can pull, but are you able to safely stop?

most so called proportional brake controllers are NOT true proportional controllers. ALL controllers that depend on inertia must slow tow vehicle before applying trailer brakes.

true proportional controllers will tap into brake hydraulics and apply trailer brakes same time as tow vehicle's brakes. the only exception is a mechanical controller that uses brake pedal's travel to activate trailer brakes. that's what I'm using on my 12v Cummins but those are no longer mfg.

my 12v 4x4 Cummins weights about 8k lbs rolling and gets 20-22 mpg empty .. about 16 mpg towing 10k+ lbs .. your trailer looks like it would be 7k+ lbs range .. hmmm could a Cummins turbo diesel be in your future?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom