So Begins Stage two

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed if it's sagging some you could add some bags or get some coil over shocks to help. It's good up to a point, I had a pretty good load on my Dakota with a set and while it was bottomed out I was still able to take a heck of a load before that point. Did the math and was probably around 9000 pounds in the back of my 03 Dakota.

As far as the diesel route, had a guy I knew that kept buying used trucks that were gas and was getting irritated when pulling a skid loader on a trailer as some of the newer toyota's were pulling away from him from a stop. Told him to get a diesel if he was going to keep getting bigger trailers. He rebuilt one engine and it went out again not long after so he did what I told him and got a 6.7l Ford 3/4 ton. While he was pulling a trailer with the pickup on it that had the engine out he lost two tires on the trailer and never even noticed. People were honking and waving while he was hauling down the turnpike towards Lawton and he had probably been pulling it that way for a while. Ended up buying some gooseneck trailers after that including a big dump bed that we probably overloaded and the truck pulled it like nobody's business. Stopping was the one thing you needed to worry about for sure though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It pulls and stops real nice. I have the Toyota factory brake system installed when I ordered the trailer tow package.
We looked at 5th wheels, but the pin weight was right at the Max, and if the trailer was loaded with clothes, etc incorrectly the pin weight exceeded the max axle rating.
I read a lot of towing forums before the buy and saw where some had added air bags, E rated tires, Bilsten shocks and ran the 5th wheels without an issue, but it still exceeded the max axle weight. You cant overcome the max axle capacity with accessories. It is what it is by design.
With the bumper pull, using the weight distributing hitch, my tundra sits level. I can run the factory tires and suspension, it maintains speed, and brakes well. I can also manually feather the trailer brakes without using the truck brakes with the brake controller if on snow or ice.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have three trucks that I use on a daily basis to pull trailers, and all have gas motors and handle my skid steer and brush mower (+/- 13k lbs) just fine. I can't take off fast, but I've never failed to get where I was going.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have three trucks that I use on a daily basis to pull trailers, and all have gas motors and handle my skid steer and brush mower (+/- 13k lbs) just fine. I can't take off fast, but I've never failed to get where I was going.
I've been impressed with how fast I can get to speed from an on ramp. The Tundra has 4:30 gears and 401lbs torque. Not the torque that a diesel has, but it seems to work good so far. The real test will be in the high altitude mountain passes. I've watched some of the video's. The Ford F150 with the twin turbo's rules at high altitudes.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been impressed with how fast I can get to speed from an on ramp. The Tundra has 4:30 gears and 401lbs torque. Not the torque that a diesel has, but it seems to work good so far. The real test will be in the high altitude mountain passes. I've watched some of the video's. The Ford F150 with the twin turbo's rules at high altitudes.

My 2011 F350 has 4.30 gears and the 6.2 liter gas motor. My father in law has an ecoboost in his F150 to pull his 30' camper, and he loves it.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my 12v 4x4 Cummins 5sp was originally rated 215hp with 440 lb torque .. yes it's got the torque but the real advantage for diesel vs gas is fuel efficiency and in my case 12v Cummins very low costs of operation. being able to tow say a 7k lb trailer at 16mpg vs 10 mpg ..

it's all about the stopping .. being able to set your trailer brakes to slightly higher bias makes a HUGE difference in safety if/when brake fade becomes a problem. besides manually feather trailer brakes .. when your brake controller is hydraulically activated, you've option where trailer brakes slows tow vehicle first and/or proportionally everytime. which is pretty darn important when tow vehicle weight is less than trailer.

Last edited:

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The oil field related company my wife has worked for with 43 years of service announced today they are closing the doors and moving the business to Houston Tx.
250 or so employees effected. Some will be offered jobs to move. Most won't. LOTS of 20 year plus employees.
So, effectively in 60 days or so, my wife retires early and we begin stage 2 in our lives together.
We bought a 29' RV last Saturday in anticipation of her retiring some time in the future not knowing it was coming so quick, so we are looking at spending the rest of our healthy lives with a lot of time visiting parts of this country we've never seen.
We are excited.

My dad had a similar experience as well as my mom. My mom still works a part time jobs as she is only 59 and watches the grand kids for my siblings and their spouses for some extra money plus quality time. They were angry and frustrated at first but neither has looked back. It has been tough financially on them but they have made the proper cuts and getting use to their chapter 2 as well.

What frustrates me is my mom has 30 years experience no degree and not one company would look at her because of her age, lack of a degree and the type of pay she was expecting. Not that she wouldnt of taken a pay cut but just because she put the high amount of her last job I think that kind of Fed her over. So dumb. And then I see all these business articles complaining about Millennials not being loyal to companies... When they start showing the same respect to our parents and my self Ill be loyal but not until then. Ill do what is best for me and leave whenever I damn well please if something better comes a long.

Sorry, I get pretty heated about this topic but the first couple years after all this happened it was hard on them and I hated seeing that. All the same they are happy now and doing just fine so I guess it worked out okay...

I am happy to see yall are in a good position to enjoy the next phase of your lives. Dont look back, yall are going to have a blast I am sure! Please share pics if possible.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
then I see all these business articles complaining about Millennials not being loyal to companies... .

Its not just millennials. When company's got away from pensions that required a certain number of years service to get retirement or loose the pension, they stayed at their jobs until they retired.
I don't know what drove the 401K to start up, but you can take it with you if you change jobs, so a couple of generations past have became the mobile job generation.
Older folks if they were still treated right, stayed with who they worked for because it was secure and they likely had extra vacation and sick leave they couldn't get if going to a new job.
Thank you for the nice comments.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Forced induction makes all the difference in the world. Drove a Nissan Frontier V6 back and forth to CA. Damn thing wouldn't go above 55 going upgrade at high altitude. Also drove a F150 Harley edition with a blown 5.4. It didn't even notice, never even downshifted on those same grades and the bed was loaded too.

High altitude really saps the power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom