Soldering vs. Compression fittings vs. sharkbite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a torch, solder, flux, emry cloth and I live in Yukon. Go to Lowes buy some 1/2 copper pipe and some fittings. Shoot me a PM for my address and I'll give you the quick soldering lesson.

Honestly it isn't hard just follow the pointers previously listed. hundred times easier soldering pipe over a wire connection. Only advise I can give is have a clear path to the shutoff or have someone help you. It minimizes the water spray if you didn't get the joint fully soldered.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3 houses we looked at when we were buying a house got ticked off the list because I saw compression fittings on pipes.

Clean mating surfaces, flux, and a propane torch. Heat the connector, not the pipe. If you were in Tulsa I would even give you a hand.

Make sure you add a cutoff valve to the supply side. Use a ball valve, not a gate valve, when you absolutely have to turn the water off is when a gate valve will fail.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
3 houses we looked at when we were buying a house got ticked off the list because I saw compression fittings on pipes.

That's a good point.
Most older homes with compression fitting are the gray polybutelyene (sp?) piping.
The compression rings and fittings on the gray piping is known to corrode at about 20-25 years and develop water leaks. It really sucks with all the hidden in-wall connections.
That's the Achilles heel of the PB piping.

I redid my house with Pex, but I used the home-run method for pipe runs. All connections are at exposed locations like in the water closet or under the sink. No in-wall connections.

Of course, copper piping also corrodes out depending on the water. That's why I had to replace it. Each method has it's own pros/cons.
To each their own.
Good luck.

Last edited:

green_machine2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was lazy. I've used the flexible pipe with brass crush rings. bought a crimper tool. and the only thing I had to squese it enough was a good sized bench vise.and a bench vice is very hard to hold up and squeeze at the same time. channel locks didn't work good enough. would probably use copper next time. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom