1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel Ammo- Tula

Discussion in 'Gun Club/Range Talk' started by groundrat, Sep 15, 2012.

1. groundrat

groundrat Marksman Member

Sooo...I picked up the cheapest box of ammo I could find at Wal Mart on my way to the range... Tula .40 S&W. The box said "steel case", which is no big deal- But then when I got to the indoor range they put a magnet up to the bullet and it was steel as well. Probably just the jacket, but still... Anyone know of an outdoor range in or near OKC that I can go to?

2. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Sharpshooter Member

There's Thunderbird Range down by Pink, off of hwy 9 East.

3. cowboyhaiokc

cowboyhaiokc Sharpshooter Member

Canadian Ranges on west I-40 and Banner Rd.

4. Cowboy2000

Cowboy2000 Sharpshooter Member

+1 on Canadian range, only costs 10 bucks, phone is 262-9011, you can shoot all the steel ammo you want, you can also shoot rifles too if you got one

5. Buckh1

Buckh1 Sharpshooter Member

Get a hunting license and go down to Lexington WMA range. Just clean up afterwards.

6. tronnix

tronnix Marksman Member

Canadian ranges off Banner road is really nice for outdoor ranges. But I would warn against steal case ammo in the future. Pay the extra few bucks for Federal ammo. Steal cases will wear your gun down faster than brass, also you get what you pay for. Cheap ammo = a really dirty gun when your done.

7. Wormydog1724

Wormydog1724 Sharpshooter Member

Says who?

8. tronnix

tronnix Marksman Member

Um..lol Do a Google search and you will find lots of info on Steel cases are bad for guns.

9. ssgrock3

ssgrock3 Sharpshooter Member

internet myth. I would suggest the ammo steel is a lot softer than the steel used in my extractor. It is simply not true in my experiance.

10. HackerF15E

HackerF15E Sharpshooter Member

You can laugh out loud at the statement if you want, but "internet wisdom" is no guarantee of truth.

There is actually zero -- zero -- evidence that steel case ammo accelerates wear of firearms components. Lots of TALK about it, but not a single photo or documented case showing wear or damage caused by using steel. Lots of people who point to warnings in firearms company manuals and literature that say use of steel voids the warranty or whatnot (same companies that say to not use reloads, either).

If you happen across any actual evidence, please feel free to post it. I'm actually interested to see it. And, importantly, such evidence has to be evaluated in the greater context of all the other evidence to the contrary.