Tesla has received 325,000 preorders for the Model 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tesla has received 325,000 preorders for the Model 3

Tesla Motors Inc. said it has received more than 325,000 reservations for the Model 3, far exceeding its expectations as customers line up to pre-order the $35,000 electric car more than a year ahead of when the more-affordable model is slated to hit the streets.

The pre-orders represent “about $14 billion in implied future sales, making this the single biggest one-week launch of any product ever,”

[Broken External Image]

https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/reserving-model-3

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i think the other impressive thing is that people had to put down $1000 (i think this is the amount) with the pre order. Tesla is suddenly sitting on a whole bunch of $$$

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The next question is if they have the production capacity to build 325k cars in one year.

If I were in the market for a $35k car and didn't need it now, I would be looking hard at one of these.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The next question is if they have the production capacity to build 325k cars in one year.

If I were in the market for a $35k car and didn't need it now, I would be looking hard at one of these.

Haha not even close. When the pre-orders where in the 150K+ range there were already predictions it would take out to 2018-2019 for some to get cars. Now they are saying it will likely be well into 2020 for some.

Tesla has only sold around 125K cars in its whole lifetime as a company..

Last edited:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Lots of folks lining up for a government subsidized and coal powered car...

Which does raise another question: Currently the vast majority of cars are NOT dependent on the power grid. What will happen to the power supply when electric cars begin to be a significant percentage of the mileage?

Haha not even close. When the pre-orders where in the 150K+ range there were already predictions it would take out to 2018-2019 for some to get cars. Now they are saying it will likely be well into 2020 for some.

Tesla has only sold around 125K cars in its whole lifetime as a company..

That's what I figured. So people are putting money on a vehicle that is 3-4 years out, to a company that has produced barely of third of that quantity of cars TOTAL.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which does raise another question: Currently the vast majority of cars are NOT dependent on the power grid. What will happen to the power supply when electric cars begin to be a significant percentage of the mileage?

That's what I figured. So people are putting money on a vehicle that is 3-4 years out, to a company that has produced barely of third of that quantity of cars TOTAL.

Yup! But they did manage to raise 350 million in a few days. That might be enough to cover one years worth of their continuous operating losses...

Don't get me wrong, Tesla cars are cool as heck. I felt like a little kid riding in one, finally getting to hear and feel the futuristic wave of the future every generation is brainwashed into believing will come true (You know, before they are old enough to understand economics, and even more importantly, energy and its rate and means of production, but I digress). But the company has a market cap of 35 Billion, and their stock is up in the $250 range, which is about a 30%ish increase since early March. All the while they have been operating at a net loss for years! The Model 3 may make or break them, but there are obviously plenty of people willing to flood them with cash to stay afloat. I just read a story about someone who basically invested every asset they could in the company years ago. Talk about eggs in one basket!

And I DO hope they succeed. But man, they seem like they've been given a free pass for quite some time simply because of the positive speculation they've received.

On another note...
I'm curious to see what the Chevy Bolt does. Although, Tesla seems to be the only car company that resists the urge to make their electric cars absolutely freaking hideous. I mean, come on.. Have you seen the BMW I3?

We shall see, I guess. I payed about the cost of the Model 3 for a nicer sedan. Would I have rather had a Model 3 over it? Quite possibly. Am I going to drop $1k and then wait 4 years for a car that might not materialize? NOPE.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
looking at 2014 sales figures for Accord and Camery of 360k and 408k ... the 325k pre-sales figure for Tesla 3 looks very much in line for a popular vehicle. based on Tesla's track record for innovation and hiring smart people. it's a safe enough bet for now 375k+ folks to plop down $1,000.

=======

Americans bought 360,089 Accords last year, Honda said in a statement on Thursday, citing registration data from IHS Automotive's Polk unit. Total U.S. sales for the Accord, including fleet, rose 11 percent in 2013 to 366,678 units.

Camry retail sales were 342,007 out of 408,484 total deliveries for the sedan, said Amanda Rice, a Toyota spokeswoman. Total Camry U.S. sales, including fleet, last year rose 1 percent to 408,484 units.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...eat-camry-as-top-u.s.-car-in-individual-sales

Latest posts

Top Bottom