Tesla has received 325,000 preorders for the Model 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The technology supporting this stuff is developing really quickly. Our electrical engineering group just developed a Tesla charger that takes 10 minutes to charge what used to take 10 hours. They have another one that is totally wireless (i.e., you can charge while driving down the road). Electrical innovation has been stifled and bought-out since Edison's time. Like or agree with it, or not, the times they are a changin'. There will be advances in this stuff in the next 5 to 10 years that we can't even dream about right now (much of it in testing now).

Also, this doesn't need to be presented as a false dilemma. It doesn't have to be all IC engines, nor does it have to be all electric. We have lots of options, some still in development, some yet to be discovered. But, for sure, electric vehicles are marching forward despite the naysayers. It took me having one for a couple weeks to change my mind enough to really dig into it and try to understand whats going on. The fossil-fuel industry will try to convince you it's a fluke, but I don't believe that anymore.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even if every person on the planet eventually at some point ditched their gasoline powered vehicles in favor of electric cars, and or trucks, etc- there will always be a need for the petroleum and fossil fuels industries. Gasoline is only one of the many products derived from petroleum. We consume petroleum products at a rate of three-and-a-half gallons of oil and more than 250 cubic feet of natural gas per day each.

One 42-gallon barrel of oil creates 19.4 gallons of gasoline. The rest (over half) is used to make a few things like:

Auto parts

Ink

Floor Wax

Ballpoint Pens

Football Cleats

Upholstery

Sweaters

Boats

Insecticides

Bicycle Tires

Sports Car Bodies

Nail Polish

Fishing lures

Dresses

Tires

Golf Bags

Perfumes

Cassettes

Dishwasher parts

Tool Boxes

Shoe Polish

Motorcycle Helmet

Caulking

Petroleum Jelly

Transparent Tape

CD Player

Faucet Washers

Antiseptics

Clothesline

Curtains

Food Preservatives

Basketballs

Soap

Vitamin Capsules

Antihistamines

Purses

Shoes

Dashboards

Cortisone

Deodorant

Footballs

Putty

Dyes

Panty Hose

Refrigerant

Percolators

Life Jackets

Rubbing Alcohol

Linings

Skis

TV Cabinets

Shag Rugs

Electrician's Tape

Tool Racks

Car Battery Cases

Epoxy

Paint

Mops

Slacks

Insect Repellent

Oil Filters

Umbrellas

Yarn

Fertilizers

Hair Coloring

Roofing

Toilet Seats

Fishing Rods

Lipstick

Denture Adhesive

Linoleum

Ice Cube Trays

Synthetic Rubber

Speakers

Plastic Wood

Electric Blankets

Glycerin

Tennis Rackets

Rubber Cement

Fishing Boots

Dice

Nylon Rope

Candles

Trash Bags

House Paint

Water Pipes

Hand Lotion

Roller Skates

Surf Boards

Shampoo

Wheels

Paint Rollers

Shower Curtains

Guitar Strings

Luggage

Aspirin

Safety Glasses

Antifreeze

Football Helmets

Awnings

Eyeglasses

Clothes

Toothbrushes

Ice Chests

Footballs

Combs

CD's & DVD's

Paint Brushes

Detergents

Vaporizers

Balloons

Sun Glasses

Tents

Heart Valves

Crayons

Parachutes

Telephones

Enamel

Pillows

Dishes

Cameras

Anesthetics

Artificial Turf

Artificial limbs

Bandages

Dentures

Model Cars

Folding Doors

Hair Curlers

Cold cream

Movie film

Soft Contact lenses

Drinking Cups

Fan Belts

Car Enamel

Shaving Cream

Ammonia

Refrigerators

Golf Balls

Toothpaste

Solvents

Bearing grease

And tons of other products.

O yaa, gasoline, diesel fuel, motor oil, etc.

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The technology supporting this stuff is developing really quickly. Our electrical engineering group just developed a Tesla charger that takes 10 minutes to charge what used to take 10 hours. They have another one that is totally wireless (i.e., you can charge while driving down the road). Electrical innovation has been stifled and bought-out since Edison's time. Like or agree with it, or not, the times they are a changin'. There will be advances in this stuff in the next 5 to 10 years that we can't even dream about right now (much of it in testing now).

Also, this doesn't need to be presented as a false dilemma. It doesn't have to be all IC engines, nor does it have to be all electric. We have lots of options, some still in development, some yet to be discovered. But, for sure, electric vehicles are marching forward despite the naysayers. It took me having one for a couple weeks to change my mind enough to really dig into it and try to understand whats going on. The fossil-fuel industry will try to convince you it's a fluke, but I don't believe that anymore.

I don't disagree...but how are we going to produce the electricity to power all this?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's you. The American public doesn't want an electric vehicle because they can't drive across the US with one. The people that fell into the NG thing found that they have to design their trips around refueling stations, and not points of interest. They just aren't there yet.
Nobody is going to sit at a charging station on vacation for hours while the thing recharges, and what is the cost of replacing batteries? I know what it is currently, and for that reason alone, nobody wants electric. That is their downfall and it will always be until they find cheaper batteries.

Its the EPA war on coal if your not up to date led by obummer. Part of his platform during the elections. Even the liberal media reports on it.
All of the Ok power plants are gearing up to put in scrubbers because of that and your utilities are going up in the neighborhood of 40% if that happens. OGE is on hold at this time to proceed with the scrubbers pending the OCC decision.
Can easily drive across the US in a Tesla already with more supercharger stations being built everyday. Sit for hours? Superchargers are a matter of minutes. Not much longer than it takes to pull over, fill up with gas, take a leak and buy a snack. As for battery replacement, my car has 8 years, unlimited mileage warranty. I'm not the least concerned about battery costs.

And I'd say the 325,000 preorders they received proves that the American public DOES want an electric car.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my gas operated cars and trucks but I think there is a place for both now and I would prolly buy one for my wife to use as a commuter vehicle if she showed an interest in one. My curiosity is piqued and I am interested in the technology. My commutes to CA and back tho I dont know what the max is on a charge vs the 350 miles or so I get out of a tank in my gas guzzling SUV w/V8- there are some long stretches between Nebraska and Wyoming and between Utah and Nevada before I get up to my place in northern CA via I-80.

Latest posts

Top Bottom