Toyota Tacoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn you Taco guys are lucky. My 1st gen Tundra has yet to crack 15 MPG, even on flat unloaded interstate drives. I'd kill to get 20 or more! With two thirsty V8's to feed in my fleet, my fuel budget is huge lol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn you Taco guys are lucky. My 1st gen Tundra has yet to crack 15 MPG, even on flat unloaded interstate drives. I'd kill to get 20 or more! With two thirsty V8's to feed in my fleet, my fuel budget is huge lol.
I'm getting a tad over 15 with my new tundra, like 15.1. Tailwind get a couple more tenths. My Taco got 21.6 on the last trip across the panhandle before I sold it.

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm getting a tad over 15 with my new tundra, like 15.1. Tailwind get a couple more tenths. My Taco got 21.6 on the last trip across the panhandle before I sold it.

I only compare because my little first gen is not much bigger than a newer Taco. Those two extra cylinders suck alot of fuel. 4.10's and 4x4 don't help much either.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My only real fault with the bad gas mileage is that an 18 gallon tank is too small for anything that gets less than 30 mpg, much less 15 mpg. If the tank was bigger I wouldn't care much.

I like the way that one is set up.

Thanks. She's gettin' there. I have the lighter OME coils in front so I need stiffer coils before I add a front bumper and winch to match my rear bumper. It works pretty well for all I do. I beat it pretty hard. This last road trip was 1300 miles highway and quite a few hours of trails/4WD roads. I never worry about it. They are pretty capable for an IFS truck.

Huge aftermarket is another plus for Tacomas - there's a reason other small trucks don't have that aftermarket.

Last edited:

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those first gen tundras are great deal if you find a clean one. Cheaper than a Tacoma but more capable and not much larger.

I wish Toyota would make something a little smaller than the 1st gen tundra, super stripped down and simple, gear driven transfer case, hd axles and a high quality 4.0l inline six like something out of an older land cruiser.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
Purchased a 2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road last November. Other than some minor trans issues (recent TSB fixed issues), it has been great for the last 15,000 miles. The new 3.5 gas mileage improved after 10,000 miles. I have owned several Toyota trucks since 1985. All have been very reliable except my 2007 Tacoma. I think it was a 1 in 1000 lemon. I believe the new generations truck will be more problem prone as they age due to greater complexity.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I test drove one and didn't like it. First impression was that it felt like it was underpowered. The seat height wasn't adjustable and the rear view mirror blocked my vision from about 1-2 o'clock. I had to duck my head down and look underneath the rear view mirror to see traffic coming from the right side as I was approaching intersections.

Overall the ride went well. Smoother than what I expected for a 4x4. Lots of features. Not having to use an ignition key would take awhile to get used to.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I test drove one and didn't like it. First impression was that it felt like it was underpowered. The seat height wasn't adjustable and the rear view mirror blocked my vision from about 1-2 o'clock. I had to duck my head down and look underneath the rear view mirror to see traffic coming from the right side as I was approaching intersections...
Those are some of the features that keep the Tacoma from fitting me. You might try the Frontier to see if it fits you better.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I test drove one and didn't like it. First impression was that it felt like it was underpowered. The seat height wasn't adjustable and the rear view mirror blocked my vision from about 1-2 o'clock. I had to duck my head down and look underneath the rear view mirror to see traffic coming from the right side as I was approaching intersections.

Overall the ride went well. Smoother than what I expected for a 4x4. Lots of features. Not having to use an ignition key would take awhile to get used to.

Did you drive the V6? Mine would outrun most V8's for a block or two. Passing acceleration was outstanding. My 18 mile commute to work before retiring down a 2 lane road required a lot of passing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom