1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Transporting long arms as a CCW holder

Discussion in 'Self Defense and Handgun Carry (Concealed and Open' started by waltham41, Nov 21, 2009.

1. waltham41

waltham41 Sharpshooter Member

I just got my CCW, and have a question that I thought of.

If I am transporting a long arm such as on the way to the range or to meet up with someone for a FTF sale, do I still need to keep the weapon in plain sight in my vehicle and it unloaded and no ammo near it?

I am thinking that the above is how it would still need to be transported but want to insure that getting my license didn't somehow change how I travel with other weapons.

Please excuse a foolish question from a newbie :)

2. bettingpython

bettingpython Sharpshooter Member

This has been covered several times before and is adressed in the SDA statutes. Not to sound like a broken record please fully read the SDA handbook and be sure you understand it.

3. Buzzdraw

Buzzdraw Sharpshooter Member

Note that the bold printed portions of 1289.13 apply ONLY to a CCW permit holder. If you do not have a current CCW, you may not lawfully utilize the listed means of long gun transport.

4. waltham41

Thanks guys, I have read the booklet several times, but it was written by lawyers and I am not one. The double speak can get confusing at times, and I want to make sure I am legal at all times when transporting weapons in my vehicle.

Thank you again for your help :)

5. Burk Cornelius

Burk Cornelius Sharpshooter Member

You got that right. Remember, there are no stupid questions.

BC

6. waltham41

Thanks BurkLee, that is how I look at it too.

I am an admin on a small gun forum, and have answered some questions literally dozens of times for new members.

I remind myself that I was a newbie once too, and treat them like I would like to be treated.