Tulsa PD shoots unarmed black man

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it certainly could be. But it's also likely that they weren't 'all legit'. Right?

I really don't know. I was just pointing out that prosecuting cops is not common in Oklahoma. And i believe there are many articled floating around the boiler room showing how it's even more rare to get indictments/ convictions against cops.

It can't be an easy job. But one that relies so much on public trust must work to maintain it. Sometimes that means pointing out the bad things you do.

But you can't even establish that "bad things" even occurred. That's rich!

I was hoping you had some stats. So what percentage of these would you deem reasonable for prosecution just to maintain the public trust?

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used reportS plural for a reason. After an OIS, she had blood drawn too. If her tox report comes back abnormal, it could factor into a higher charge. Also, if her stated initial assessment comes back correct and he was under the influence of PCP, she can enter into evidence cases such as the Cook County Illinois shootout, where a PCP soaked perp soaked up 33 rounds of 9mm before he was finally put down with two 12ga slugs. Her prior knowledge and training can be placed into evidence, particularly if the tox reports back her up. Evidence such as that can turn a slam dunk conviction into an unwinnable case. A careful prosecutor will weigh ALL the evidence before making a determination on charges, but that isn't Kunzweiler's style. JMO, YMMV
Again, I said charge, not conviction.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Again, I said charge, not conviction.
And AGAIN, it's not prudent to charge before you have all the facts. If for no other reason, it brings the specter of political expediency into the equation, which is EXACTLY what happened when Mosby was so quick to charge the officers in Baltimore on Freddie Gray. Once all the evidence came in, it hurt her case and she looked like a fool.

I'm NOT saying that will happen to Kunzweiler here, but he's shooting from the hip and one day it may come back to bite him. I guarantee that filing charges before the internal investigation can even be completed, will hurt his relations with the LEO's in Tulsa County. They will say he's "out to get them" and he won't have any way to win back their trust.

I spend a significant amount of my waking hours in Tulsa Co. It's always been fractured here. I don't want my LE and DA's office in collusion, but I certainly don't want them adversarial either. Neither serves the best interests of the citizenry. :(

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt she'll be convicted. Blue eyed Shelby will go before a jury of her white tulsan peers and give her sob sad story and be let go.

Not only is she white, but she's a small, bright eyed woman. She'll go in there sobbing and apologizing, saying she feared for her life and we'll all go home as if nothing happened. There aren't too many black people in Oklahoma, so i doubt there'll be any protests of note in Oklahoma.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
And AGAIN, it's not prudent to charge before you have all the facts. If for no other reason, it brings the specter of political expediency into the equation, which is EXACTLY what happened when Mosby was so quick to charge the officers in Baltimore on Freddie Gray. Once all the evidence came in, it hurt her case and she looked like a fool.

I'm NOT saying that will happen to Kunzweiler here, but he's shooting from the hip and one day it may come back to bite him. I guarantee that filing charges before the internal investigation can even be completed, will hurt his relations with the LEO's in Tulsa County. They will say he's "out to get them" and he won't have any way to win back their trust.

I spend a significant amount of my waking hours in Tulsa Co. It's always been fractured here. I don't want my LE and DA's office in collusion, but I certainly don't want them adversarial either. Neither serves the best interests of the citizenry. :(
I think it is, it does not mean the charge cannot be dropped.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
she is being charged because of her actions, not his. If he was stone cold sober or high as a kite, he still did not have a weapon.
So what. Just because someone doesn't have a weapon doesn't mean they are innocent. He was obviously disobeying commands and walked back to his vehicle. Then he drops one hand down by his waste. I guess she was supposed to wait until he pulls a gun and starts firing. How was she supposed to know he didn't have a weapon on him? I can see why she fired. Obviously the other cop thought he was reaching for something too. Only he shot a tazer and not a gun. I guess Michael brown was innocent because he didn't have a weapon. This guy had a history of being a criminal. I guarantee he wasn't listening to the officers commands. Had he done that he wouldn't have gotten shot. That's the bottom line.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt she'll be convicted. Blue eyed Shelby will go before a jury of her white tulsan peers and give her sob sad story and be let go.

Not only is she white, but she's a small, bright eyed woman. She'll go in there sobbing and apologizing, saying she feared for her life and we'll all go home as if nothing happened. There aren't too many black people in Oklahoma, so i doubt there'll be any protests of note in Oklahoma.
You obviously don't know Tulsa county very well, where the guilt of the 21 race riots is still modern news and you can't even get the death penalty for the pre meditated murder of a white police officer as a black, drug dealing gang banger. I'm sure Bates thought his community service and money were going to get him off. He was wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom