Vacation activity dilemma...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I have 5 days off the beginning of Dec...

Debating between taking my son to see his great-grandmother in San Antonio whom he hasn't seen since he was about 16 months (he's 5 now) and using my vacation for some much-needed hunting time.

Gramma is in her mid-80s and won't be here forever. He knows her picture, but doesn't remember his last visit.

I, on the other hand, have not been deer hunting since my teens (35 now) and only got to do 1 day of dove hunting back in Sept. '02. My last day off was Sept. 18th and I have this Thursday off, then next day off is my vacation Dec 1st.

As you can imagine, I am in bad need of some R&R... I may go fishing with my grandfather Thursday, but with only 1 full day off in around 80, my thinking may not be so clear.

I really want my son to see his grandmother, so I'm sure that's what I'll do, but I guess I want someone to tell me it'll be ok, I can wait yet ANOTHER year to get back out in the woods again... <sigh>

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you are making the right choice. I am wanting to go to the mountains again, but we are going to make another trip to Saint Louis to see my grandma. She turns 97 in February. Her age has started to catch up with her this last year or so. The deer will allways be around, but our grandmas wont be. Plus this could be a chance to give your kid some good memories.

BoomerShooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not do both - take the son to San Antonio to see his great-grandma and find someplace that you can hunt around there - heck maybe a father/son type of deal - :-D

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, he's too young to hunt, and I am not going to go to my grandma's and then leave the wife and son to stay with her while I go out hunting. That wouldn't be very nice. Plus, I need to spend time with Grandma, too.

I'm just whining, I need to suck it up and once again put other things before my desires... I'm pretty used to that, I guess. I got my new truck last month, so according to my wife's plan, I should be satiated for another couple of years before I want anything else for myself. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom