What is the legal length blade in oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In response to a repsonse on thread one, there is no state law but municipalities.
Ponca has a stupid 6" law, while I can go to walmart and buy a 7 1/2" fillet knife.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked the police at a gun show and he confirmed what I already knew. The whole knife can't be more than 6 inches or longer than a dollar bill, which is the way he measures them. Having said that, a great many people in Oklahoma carry illegal knives and most Leo's overlook it, unless they want a reason to give you a hard time. Personally, I think the law needs to be changed; if not for everyone, at least for CCW holders.

Edited: I should point out, I don't know if this is a municipal law or state law

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked the police at a gun show and he confirmed what I already knew. The whole knife can't be more than 6 inches or longer than a dollar bill, which is the way he measures them. Having said that, a great many people in Oklahoma carry illegal knives and most Leo's overlook it, unless they want a reason to give you a hard time. Personally, I think the law needs to be changed; if not for everyone, at least for CCW holders.

Edited: I should point out, I don't know if this is a municipal law or state law

It is not a state law.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since the OP is from Oklahoma City, here is the OKC code regarding long blade knives:

Linky
30-307 said:
No person shall offer for sale or exhibit for sale any knife commonly called a switchblade knife or spring-blade knife or any other pocket knife having a blade longer than four inches.

Note that State law does not have a restriction, but various localities may have their own city ordinances so check with your local area. Also note that in OKC you can not exhibit for sale a pocket knife with a blade longer than 4 inches, doesn't say anything about owning or using.

As always, I am not a lawyer and this is just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had clients arrested for possession of concealed weapon when carrying tools. Box knifes etc. Sucks but I figure you piss off the cop and....

Yes, but short of one of those clients doing anything illegal or extremely suspicious, it would be darn near impossible for the arresting LEO to prove your intent right? Any decent lawyer (such as yourself) would be able to prove such a thing with a person who had a spotless record, valid reason to be where/when/how they were and didn't appear to be suspiciously up to nefarious deeds... right?

Latest posts

Top Bottom