What with all the cops on I-35/235???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm reminded of the city in Europe(in the Netherlands or something, look it up) that removed ALL traffic signs and restrictions inside city limits and have had a massive drop in traffic accidents as a result.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been involved in a couple situations where officers have had to come out and neither time was I hauled off to jail -- and one of those times I blacked a gal's eye and split her lip. (And no, I didn't pull the "JBT's wife" card as both times I was dating a biker whose mouth tended to overload his butt. I will freely admit to you here and now though that the one time I had uninvited company at my house after GC and I became a couple I was really, really quick to let the officer know that: 1. If he bothered to come out I'd be happy to sign a complaint and 2. That I was "part of the family". (No. 2 was mostly so my visitor would foam at the mouth and act the fool. It worked! LOL)

More often than not, if you can state your position calmly, quietly and without embellishment an officer can discern who really has a "time out" coming to them and who doesn't. I'm not saying they always get it right but that just comes with being human.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I beg to differ. I've been involved in a couple situations where officers have had to come out and neither time was I hauled off to jail -- and one of those times I blacked a gal's eye and split her lip. (And no, I didn't pull the "JBT's wife" card as both times I was dating a biker whose mouth tended to overload his butt. I will freely admit to you here and now though that the one time I had uninvited company at my house I was really, really quick to let the officer know that: 1. If he bothered to come out I'd be happy to sign a complaint and 2. That I was "part of the family". (No. 2 was mostly so my visitor would foam at the mouth and act the fool. It worked! LOL)

Thank you, dear, if we all just be civil in conversation with LEO's or just the person next to you at your local store, then ya' know, we get along? Just sayin', so I am tryin' to be civil here and am more so when I am on the street just driving to my local places early in the AM, but people if you can't control your temper, mouth like some seem to be unable to do then, well, I am not your protector. I should write and post just some things that have occurred to within the last two weeks in only NW OKC, you would be amazed.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did some Military Police Work while on Active Duty and got an associates degree in Criminal Justice. Speed Limits are usually recommended by safety personnel. The limits are set mainly based upon dry road conditions and ideal weather conditions. I will freely admit though that a speeding violation can be used to search a vehicle if the driver acts in a suspicious manner. I was stopped on the H.E. Bailey turnpike once. The trooper asked me where I was going. He said that my bright lights were on. I apologized and he let me on my way. I just set cruise control for the limit. You are only going to get to your destination 5 or 10 minutes sooner by speeding.

The limits are set artificially low and 90% of the time if I see a patrol car sharing the road with me but not going to a hot call, he/she is breaking the law they are sworn to enforce because even they know that 60mph is too slow for certain stretches of road...we need some pragmatism folks. I find it funny in the 90's when the HWY 9 speed limit was set to 65mph and then a few short months later reduced to 50mph...REALLY???? The safety experts were 15mph off in their initial analysis? What a crock...it was about revenue plain & simple.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the distance of the drive. My house to work every day negligible at 10mph over. My house to New Orleans which we do frequently 1.5 hours difference at 10mph over on the moving average. That's 1.5 less hours I have to spend driving.

If we could do away with some of the silly interstate speed limits and turnpike speed limits I could do NOLA in 8 hours.

We did San Antonio to Tulsa once in 8 hours.

And that 1.5hr time saved could have save you from deep vein thrombosis and saved your life...you never know..."speed saves" LOL

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The limits are set artificially low and 90% of the time if I see a patrol car sharing the road with me but not going to a hot call, he/she is breaking the law they are sworn to enforce because even they know that 60mph is too slow for certain stretches of road...we need some pragmatism folks. I find it funny in the 90's when the HWY 9 speed limit was set to 65mph and then a few short months later reduced to 50mph...REALLY???? The safety experts were 15mph off in their initial analysis? What a crock...it was about revenue plain & simple.

I know you have no way of knowing this but officers are fully aware of the cost of tickets these days. Last time the bond schedule was revised (upward I might add, and by your handy-dandy elected officials, NOT the officers on the street) several officers I know personally simply stopped writing tickets for all but the most egregious offenders. Why? Because police officers realize that those types of fees do nothing but take money off the tables of folks who work hard and generally don't have it to spare. So, you may indeed be right about it being all about revenue, but you are blaming the wrong folks. It's about revenue to the elected officials out there, not to the officers on the street.

I'm not saying there aren't speed traps out there. I'm not saying that there aren't some officers are Grade A, card-carrying assholes who spend their entire day trying to figure out how to make John Q. Public miserable and abuse their power. (And those officers need to be dealt with harshly.) I'm saying that the vast majority of officers are NOT that way. The vast majority of them want to see you get to work and back home again safely and in one piece.

And I'd like to know how you know that "90% of the time if I see a patrol car sharing the road with me but not going to a hot call"?? I'm married to a JBT and I can't tell where or why an officer is doing what he is doing simply by watching him drive his car ...

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally commend all three of those officers for their self-control, and that kid should have been slammed into a wall locker multiple times in Junior High School. Maybe he would have learned the cost of provocation.

I HOPE you are not a LEO...if you are, I'm scared...I think that kid is a punk, and in Jr High, I'd have been fine with him being taught a lesson. But cops are held to a higher standard and not to slam people and violate their rights. Me sticking up for that little turd is about like my Marine Corp father sticking up for Clinton's minions on TV in the 90's...he used to tell me, "son, everything that guy is saying is a lie...but I'd fight in war for his right to say it"...if the kid steps over the line, then he must face the consequences. But taking a picture of a public official from 4 feet away is hardly reason for what occurred...WE HAVE RIGHTS PEOPLE...people fought and died for the right for me not to have a cop destroy my property and intimidate me while representing the government I help to fund...if the bottom falls out, I am siding with the trooper, all day long...people like that kid are what has let our country get to this point..but he still has constitutional rights whether I like it or not...don't be like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COouJZK-2sM

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was really kinda disappointed. They should have stomped his scrawny little ass to a bloody pulp and I would have told you that even before I became a JBT's wife. I can't stand people like that kid ... Of course, I realize that "some" folks will say I'm harsh ... oh, well ...

Did you vote for 0bama??? If so you are fullfilling the stereotype of the totalitarian "authorities"...LOL. You know I laughed when I saw the cops beating down the OWS scum, especially in Oakland...but those people were anarchists...wait until the kid spits or sets dumpster on fire...but taking a picture was not a good enough reason for the assault...IT HURTS OUR CAUSE and gives the liberals something to whine about...it sways the public's opinion on police brutality,etc...you must know this? Just like that nut in Missouri saying the now famous "legitimate rape" comments...I am against abortion but people like that guy HURT the pro-life cause because it gives people like Bill Maher and Jon Steward show material....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom