Which Air Compressor........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What they said. That can be fixed. However, to answer your question, I have a twin cylinder puma 60 gallon and its considerably louder tha my dads 60 gallon industrial air. It was prabably half the cost. I guess you get what you pay for.

I have the Puma 3 cylinder, it is louder than I want, it will be going outside to it's own little room before long. I do like the air output though, I can still make it work hard when I start after something with a DA sander.

The belt drive models are quieter than the direct drive.

Somewhat, I will tell you mine is quieter than the Crapsman 33 gallon I had, but not night and day difference. I even invested in intake mufflers, didn't help much at all.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
unless you are ok with a loud compressor stay away from the oilless ones, they are very loud when they run. I have a Kobalt stand up model that is 35 gallons, it is nice to have but man is it loud when it runs, almost deafening to be honest.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would definately repair that one, as many have said, not a big job.

If you do decide to replace it, don't buy the one with the motor/compressor in one unit. When one goes, they both go so to speak. Buy the belt driven one with separate motor/compressor and you can replace either if they so South.

As far as brand, I've had good luck with my Puma, but I don't use it a whole lot.

Good Luck!

marvin

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying one as well, don't have a lot of space right now, and don't currently have a "large" need for one, more of a "it would be handy to have". Thoughts?

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My electric motor repair guy tells me to stay away from Puma, he says he fixes brand new one constantly. To be completely honest, I have a home-made compressor. It ahs a used 50-gallon tank, a harbor frieght compressor and a harbor freight 220v 5 hp motor. Makes a ton of air. Not quite as nice as a new 80-gallon 7 hp, but it does the job for most mechanic work. I have painted with it too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom