Why do firearm manufacturers move to/stay in states that have restrictive gun laws?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't get it. If you make guns, it would make more sense to be in Texas or Oklahoma as opposed to say, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, California etc. yet it seems like most gun manufacturers are based in those shitholes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They give them better tax incentives in some cases.
In a lot of instances, the people that make the decisions to keep, or move to different locations around the country are swayed by the meetings with the local/state reps.
What happens under the table, I don't know. I would hope everything is above the table.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They give them better tax incentives in some cases.
In a lot of instances, the people that make the decisions to keep, or move to different locations around the country are swayed by the meetings with the local/state reps.
What happens under the table, I don't know. I would hope everything is above the table.

Lol, sure everything is above the table in the NE part of the country....

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, a lot of them were founded in the NE, like Colt, Winchester, etc, especially the older manufacturers. I would like to think the main reasons they stay are due to loyalty to their employees, but probably more like the cost of moving and buying/building new facilities elsewhere. There does seem to be more getting out though.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taxes, cost of relocation, and the size of the worker pool. I'm pretty sure Oklahoma's love for private prisons makes it even harder to fill certain types of jobs in that industry.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The infrastructure is there. Plating, anodizing, heat treating etc. Most of the names you associate in the gun business got their start supplying parts to the big gun makers as subcontractors. Then as they made money they came out with their own product line. Those people have lived there for generations and have no interest to move. I doubt any of those companies were started by people from OKLA or TX moving there.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda on The same line, but isn't jack daniels distilled in a dry county?
Not to hijack the thread, but processes like brewing and distilling can often be more tied to a water source than most people realize. Given modern chemistry, that could probably be replicated, but early on it would have been more difficult to match the mineral content perfectly after a move. If you like beer, then you'll probably have heard about certain places or regions being known for a type of beer (stout vs IPA, etc). This often was a result of the water available.

Latest posts

Top Bottom