Why do firearm manufacturers move to/stay in states that have restrictive gun laws?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's kinda a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing. They get bad press for sticking around, but think of all the bad press they'd get if they moved how many thousands of jobs to another state.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's made in the Norinco you just got a free upgrade.

I'll give up that the Norinco guns are made out of some hard steel, for sure. I think they used to use railroad tracks or the same steel to make them. Later models? Dunno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The infrastructure is there. Plating, anodizing, heat treating etc. Most of the names you associate in the gun business got their start supplying parts to the big gun makers as subcontractors. Then as they made money they came out with their own product line. Those people have lived there for generations and have no interest to move. I doubt any of those companies were started by people from OKLA or TX moving there.
A lot of truth. ^^^^ But, some of those companies will move with the parent company. For example: Huffy bicycle built a 10 acre assembly plant in Ponca City back in the day.(closed now)
Eagle Plating, and a couple of smaller support companies moved with them.
They had enough business to keep them busy in their original locations, but opened a plant in Ponca. Local job shops took up the slack of those that didn't.
The Plant Manager of the Eagle plating facility is now my Father in Law. Since this thread, I asked him about moving here from the NE.
Turns out that he was the only person in his management group that wanted to move to Ok. He had no family where he was at, and elected to move where the new branch was going.
I think that is pretty much the story. Nobody wants to move to small town USA where they don't have the amenities of the larger cities where they have their base

RedHawk357Mag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes those ideals are hard to live by. I am certain it probably has much to do with their labor force. But I find it easier for me to choose whether to support these states or not. I absolutely refuse to buy anything from California or New York. When I had my home re-roofed I made it a point to insist my roofer use Maze nails. That price tag hurt and they aren't at the local lumber yard either. I find Gusset Blue Jeans a nice jean but 20 dollars more than Carharrt or Key is sometimes hard to take. I can only imagine some of these companies probably feel the same way dealing with some of these states, while they call you everything but a child of God but absolutely have no problem talking your money for their coffers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom