Lawn & pasture, all-purpose chemical sprayer advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did a triple rinse of the tank by spraying fresh water into it, and all around the sides until it started running out of water, then put in a gallon of ammonia along with about 10 gallons of water and let it recirculate for a bit, then let it spray out and did another rinse.
I may have went overboard on the rinses, but the pump sure didn't show any damage.
As stated above, wear PPE, removing everything and getting into the shower as soon as finished. Get the clothes into the wash as well by themselves.
Thanks Dennis. I have a tank cleaning product that directs to leave in the sprayer overnight after spraying 24D, which is what I sprayed today.

An additional ammonia treatment can't hurt. Thanks again.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Dennis. I have a tank cleaning product that directs to leave in the sprayer overnight after spraying 24D, which is what I sprayed today.

An additional ammonia treatment can't hurt. Thanks again.
The guy at the COOP that sprays for a living told me that most of the commercial tank cleaning liquids are ammonia based. They use the straight stuff in their rigs. It's basically fertilizer so it doesn't hurt anything when discharging it.
I'd be interested in hearing about the contents that are in the product you're using if they are on the container.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
100 gallon
I use everything from roundup to 2-4-D. When one of those sprayers is bought, it has a roller pump that is operated by the PTO shaft. Roundup is very corrosive to some metals, that pump being susceptible to damage from it. The guy at the COOP where I buy chemicals said to flush the tank with Ammonia after spraying to negate the corrosive effects. It worked for years, and finally thought I should update to the silver model of that pump that is immune to roundup corrosion. I did, and after installing it, opened up the old pump. The COOP guy was right. There was no corrosion on the internals of the old pump. Ammonia can be bought at Dollar General for a couple bucks a gallon.
So I have a spare now.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom