Lets see all the rides!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got past the "3 row vehicle" season so the GLS63 has been replaced:

IMG_1794.jpeg

IMG_1795.jpeg

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My favorite set of wheels that are driven regularly. The El Camino is 50 years old, the Jeep is 28 years old , the Honda is 15 years old

15. View attachment 335942
Nice El Camino. I was looking to paint my 72 exactly like yours without side moldings also. Now i may go back to original cream yellow. Post some more pics/info of the El Camino.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The T-bird Turbo Coupe was and still is an awesome car! They were capable of speeds north of 140, handled awesome, and faster than the Camaro's of the time in the quarter mile (stock.) I do envy that ride! 2.3 or 2.7 Ecoboost swap anyone?
Thanks! IMO, these cars were the best of the Fox platform. My first car was a Midnight Blue '88. I looked for the better part of 15 years for another that was in good shape and within driving distance. This one came from a seller on Facebook up in Hays, KS nearly two years ago. He had kept it garaged since it was purchased in '97. The car still wasn't nearly quite this clean looking when I purchased it, but most everything has been easy to address. Luckily, I have still been able to find some nice NOS and nearly new parts for the car and a lot of new repro Fox Mustang parts will fit or can be slightly modified to fit.

I've always thought that a restomod with a modern Eco-Boost would be a cool project for a Turbo Coupe. I've seen a 3.5L swap, but you're relegated to an auto transmission in that circumstance. I assume that a 2.3L Eco-Boost out of a current Mustang would work with a manual transmission in this platform, though. For now, I'm going to stick with the original Lima 2.3L. At some point it will get a modern turbo and possibly cammed. Aside from a turbo-back Stinger Performance exhaust kit, the car is completely stock.

Last edited:

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks! IMO, these cars were the best of the Fox platform. My first car was a Midnight Blue '88. I looked for the better part of 15 years for another that was in good shape and within driving distance. This one came from a seller on Facebook up in Hays, KS nearly two years ago. It wasn't nearly this clean looking when I purchased it, but most everything has been easy to address. Luckily, I have still been able to find some nice NOS and nearly new parts for the car and a lot of new repro Fox Mustang parts will fit or can be slightly modified to fit.

I've always thought that a restomod with a modern Eco-Boost would be a cool project for a Turbo Coupe. I've seen a 3.5L swap, but you're relegated to an auto transmission in that circumstance. I assume that a 2.3L Eco-Boost out of a current Mustang would work with a manual transmission in this platform, though. For now, I'm going to stick with the original Lima 2.3L. At some point it will get a modern turbo and possibly cammed. Aside from a turbo-back Stinger Performance exhaust kit, the car is completely stock.
I like the 3.5 Ecoboost, but now am really enamored with the 2.7 and 3.0 Ecoboosts,. The Early 2.7's had some issues with oil consumption, pan leaks and Carbon on the valves, but many have been resolved. The engine itself is designed for a lot of boost (built as robust as a diesel,) lots of low end torque and is easily tunned with a piggy back tuner so 515 ft/lbs of torque and 400 hp in a lightweight package are not unreasonable, all out of a 165 CID engine. The 2.3 is awesome as well, I have heard of 1200 HP ones, but as for streetability? Oh well, even in stock format that car is worthy of taking care of. I think they did have an independent rear suspension that year, or was that the Super Coupe?

BTW, there are many kewl cars here, maybe okshooters.com should have a Cars and Coffee Event or at least choose a section of Remington Park during Cars and Coffee one day?

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the 3.5 Ecoboost, but now am really enamored with the 2.7 and 3.0 Ecoboosts,. The Early 2.7's had some issues with oil consumption, pan leaks and Carbon on the valves, but many have been resolved. The engine itself is designed for a lot of boost (built as robust as a diesel,) lots of low end torque and is easily tunned with a piggy back tuner so 515 ft/lbs of torque and 400 hp in a lightweight package are not unreasonable, all out of a 165 CID engine. The 2.3 is awesome as well, I have heard of 1200 HP ones, but as for streetability? Oh well, even in stock format that car is worthy of taking care of. I think they did have an independent rear suspension that year, or was that the Super Coupe?
I have a 3rd Gen 3.5L Eco-Boost in my F-150 and absolutely wouldn't want to own anything else.

20220806_182622.jpg

The T-Birds with IRS were the following generation. This car has a solid rear axle and an electronic ride control system. The vehicle that I traded my first Turbo Coupe in for was a '93 Lincoln Mark VIII with that same chassis as the Super Coupe and a 4.6L DOHC. Below is some info about the chassis on the Turbo Coupe that I cut and pasted from an article. It was pretty cutting edge for car in its price bracket back in 1987.

Ford's chassis refinements transformed the car into a world-class handling machine that can hold its own almost anywhere. Ford's unique, gas-charged Quadrashock rear suspension not only dampens rear axle movement over bumps but also controls rotation of the axle under acceleration. Inert nitrogen gas in the shocks inhibits foaming of the shock absorber fluid caused by rapid agitation when encountering rapidly varying road surfaces. A four-bar link arrangement with variable-rate coil springs in the rear and modified, gas-charged MacPherson struts contribute overall stability, while the sophisticated, computer-controlled automatic ride control system monitors vehicle acceleration, speed, brake pressure, and steering input to firm up or soften shock damping based on road conditions. In the automatic mode, the system runs soft and automatically goes firm whenever it senses the need. When set to the firm mode, it tightens up the shock valving and keeps it there for optimal performance and handling. The automatic ride control module controls the damping rate by energizing two relays that control four feedback actuators, one on top of each shock absorber. These actuators rotate a valve inside the shock to alter the damping rate and provide a signal to the module indicating a soft or firm mode of operation, and a malfunction signal if a problem occurs. All in all, the Turbo Coupe's combination of suspension and automatic ride control delivers what is probably the best ride and handling compromise available in a domestic performance car. The Thunderbird accommodates virtually any road surface and still delivers smooth, predictable handling when you want to cover ground at serious speeds.

Last edited:

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 3rd Gen 3.5L Eco-Boost in my F-150 and absolutely wouldn't want to own anything else.

View attachment 479212

The T-Birds with IRS were the following generation. This car has a solid rear axle and an electronic ride control system. The vehicle that I traded my first Turbo Coupe in for was a '93 Lincoln Mark VIII with that same chassis as the Super Coupe and a 4.6L DOHC. Below is some info about the chassis on the Turbo Coupe that I cut and pasted from an article...

Ford's chassis refinements transformed the car into a world-class handling machine that can hold its own almost anywhere. Ford's unique, gas-charged Quadrashock rear suspension not only dampens rear axle movement over bumps but also controls rotation of the axle under acceleration. Inert nitrogen gas in the shocks inhibits foaming of the shock absorber fluid caused by rapid agitation when encountering rapidly varying road surfaces. A four-bar link arrangement with variable-rate coil springs in the rear and modified, gas-charged MacPherson struts contribute overall stability, while the sophisticated, computer-controlled automatic ride control system monitors vehicle acceleration, speed, brake pressure, and steering input to firm up or soften shock damping based on road conditions. In the automatic mode, the system runs soft and automatically goes firm whenever it senses the need. When set to the firm mode, it tightens up the shock valving and keeps it there for optimal performance and handling. The automatic ride control module controls the damping rate by energizing two relays that control four feedback actuators, one on top of each shock absorber. These actuators rotate a valve inside the shock to alter the damping rate and provide a signal to the module indicating a soft or firm mode of operation, and a malfunction signal if a problem occurs. All in all, the Turbo Coupe's combination of suspension and automatic ride control delivers what is probably the best ride and handling compromise available in a domestic performance car. The Thunderbird accommodates virtually any road surface and still delivers smooth, predictable handling when you want to cover ground at serious speeds.
Absolutely Loved the Mark VIII. My Dad Had a Mark VIII, A Turbo Coupe and Super Coupe (all were new, wrong order...) When he went out of town he'd let me borrow them, I was spoiled, My car was a Mustang, and for a two year period a Taurus 3.8 Liter LX. The Taurus was cheap to insure as I had many points on my driving record.

Latest posts

Top Bottom