Loudest Gun/Cartridge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.357 Mag pistol is on my do not ever buy list. The report is so loud that even double hearing protection is uncomfortable to me, and I have major hearing loss.
Weird, I even shoot ported ones without issue. I don’t have hearing loss, have great hearing for my age, and hate loud noises. I double up on hearing protection.

Now a S&W 460, ported, indoors… It’s quite painful from just the concussion, much less the noise.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Weird, I even shoot ported ones without issue. I don’t have hearing loss, have great hearing for my age, and hate loud noises. I double up on hearing protection.

Now a S&W 460, ported, indoors… It’s quite painful from just the concussion, much less the noise.
It's the sharpness of the report in the .357 that gets me. Everyone has frequencies in their hearing spectrum that gives them issues.
The pressure wave from the muzzle with brakes and so on is a totally different issue. .50 BMG is uncomfortable to me, but nothing like the .357.

Valhallajack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's the sharpness of the report in the .357 that gets me. Everyone has frequencies in their hearing spectrum that gives them issues.
The pressure wave from the muzzle with brakes and so on is a totally different issue. .50 BMG is uncomfortable to me, but nothing like the .357.
I agree .357 but i think a 5-6 inch barrel makes it worse, almost like it breaks the sound barrier or something.

Latest posts

Top Bottom