Solar Generator/battery backup question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieBoogaloo

The Trees are Whisperin
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Grab an ecoflow refurb off ebay or hit costco for one. jackery is also good. get a solar panel from them for your generator. charge up the pack on ac and discharge it once a quarter, dont leave em plugged in (trust me)

use the panels if you need but otherwise leave em alone.

for cpap get one of these and leave it in place all the time. power goes out youll never know. They charge quick off 12v car plugs and solar if needed.

SPUD

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I have these, Solar-Diesel power systems on a trailer, 11KW will run most homes. I am re-making the oldest to LiFePo4 15KW as we speak.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 0

scramp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got at Eco-Flow Delta 2 Max with a 200 watt solar panel. First day our of the box I set up the solar panel flat on my deck at 12 noon. It came out of the box with a 30% charge and by 7:30 PM it was at 61% of charge. Max charge rate 170 watts, lowest 100 watts. The sun was going down and getting ready to rain so I plugged the unit and got to 100% in 35 Minutes on house power.

My intention is to use it for the main fridge, mini-freezer, Kerig coffee maker and charging phones and I-pads.

I have a Honda 2K generator I used previously. What I intend to do is in the event of an outage power off the Eco-Flow and when needed, due to the panels not keeping up, charge the unit off of the Honda.

I'm making a better rack for the panels than the set up they have. When I get that all completed, I will plug the refer/freezers into it an see how it holds up. We live in coastal NC and it looks to be a potentially bad hurricane season.

Unfortunately, most other people in our community don't have anything set up if we take a weather hit. I'll be the go to guy for resources. Being a retired electrician, I'm use to that. My fall back is I don't have an NC license or insurance. My other is, if I get a Christmas card you are a friend, if not you are just an acquaintance.

SPUD

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
First add up the watt hours for each item and multiply by 24, that will give you the amount of watts you need in a day. Your system is 2kw, 200 watt panel needs 10 hours to charge with no use and maximum sun. I would think your system would use more that the 200 watts per hour, so it would never charge.

Use enough panels to charge the system for overnight use, and run them all day, take in consideration low charge days and that would tell you how many you would need.

I am not familiar with the Eco-Flow Delta 2 Max with a 200 watt solar panel system. Not sure it would even power the refer and freezer overnight.

As far as your panel rack, make it hurricane proof or you'll lose them first storm, they fly like frisbees.

My property takes 12kw to completely power my home and 5 outbuildings.

scramp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not interested in powering up numerous items, just critical food, connectivity an occasional coffee maker and small lighting. We don't have gas other than bottled gas. If we had natural gas piping I would out in a larger gen-set and install the appropriate transfer switch.

Even though I have a 2KW generator, I'm no where using it to its full potential. I just want to have the Ecp Flow carry the loads as needed and recharged when depleted by the gas gen-set. This ends the generator running at idle rather than at full capacity while recharging the Eco Flow.

I picked up the aluminum box tubing today so hopefully next week I'll do an actual load testing run to see how it works.

Latest posts

Top Bottom