The Barn Find 1955 Bel Air

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yessir. As long as it’s after 58 when they went to side motor mounts
I see you no longer need one.
But if you change your mind I have a couple and bare transmission cases (TH350) you can borrow for mock up if you go that path.

I also have heads and intakes and HEI distributors you are welcome to borrow for mock up.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dlbleak came over this morning and we made pulling the engine a family affair. My son (a Ford mechanic) assisted on the engine crane while we used jacks, furniture dollies and anything within arm’s reach to roll the engine and transmission up and out of the car. We then opened up the 283 and discovered the engine had seen better days. It had been ridden hard and put away wet 50 years ago. Gonna deal with power train later. Now the next step is to tear apart the front suspension. We have a set of power disc brakes for it along with tubular A arms, new bushings, tie rod ends, etc. We’ll also coat the frame in the Chassis Armor stuff from Poppy’s Patina.
IMG_8230.jpeg
IMG_8233.jpeg
IMG_8226.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One tidbit I found while gathering parts of my 58 impala together. It ca,e stock with a cast iron transmission. Granted most trannys are heavy. this one is in another class..
No doubt! I’m not sure when the change was made but the early Powerglides were cast iron. Yesterday as I was moving this one around I wished it was one of the later aluminum-cased units.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1962 is when the Aluminum Glide came out.
I hated the weight of my Iron glide when I pulled it and thought right then I am sticking in a TH350.

My 64 Impala was Aluminum. I helped a friend pull his out of a 60 and it was indeed very heavy for two teens with no floor Jack, let alone a tranny jack!

Latest posts

Top Bottom