What's a good new 25 hp tractor package for the money?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is the bucket heavy enough to counter the backhoe or would you need to add some front weight? I'd love to have a backhoe option at our property but can't justify the cost especially if a full size.

I'm not sure I understand. If you're asking about the front bucket being enough ballast for working the backhoe, then, yes, it is. Well, I say that, but I just got this little guy yesterday so I haven't used it yet. I did have a backhoe on my 2038R and it worked like a champ.

We discussed a mini-ex. But a mini-ex only does digging. They're really good at digging, but that's about all they do aside from maybe moving things around...but you can do that with a backhoe bucket, too.

This little tractor filled our digging needs. A TLB setup like this does a lot of things OK. Doesn't do anything really well. Obviously, it's small and limited in how much work it can do at once. But, digging trenches, removing tree stumps, etc, can be done and it beats using a shovel. Plus, it mows. But, it's HUGE for a mower so space becomes an issue. The loader is great for moving material...just at a slower pace.

So, for us, it makes a lot of sense. Machine to dig? Check. Bigger mower? Check. Loader? We already have a larger tractor, but now we have two. So, check. With a mini-ex we're more limited in uses and we'd still have the other needs.

I'd say if you really need a way to dig and that's going to be the exclusive use, go with a mini-ex. They're cheaper and better at digging than a small backhoe.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand. If you're asking about the front bucket being enough ballast for working the backhoe, then, yes, it is. Well, I say that, but I just got this little guy yesterday so I haven't used it yet. I did have a backhoe on my 2038R and it worked like a champ.

We discussed a mini-ex. But a mini-ex only does digging. They're really good at digging, but that's about all they do aside from maybe moving things around...but you can do that with a backhoe bucket, too.

This little tractor filled our digging needs. A TLB setup like this does a lot of things OK. Doesn't do anything really well. Obviously, it's small and limited in how much work it can do at once. But, digging trenches, removing tree stumps, etc, can be done and it beats using a shovel. Plus, it mows. But, it's HUGE for a mower so space becomes an issue. The loader is great for moving material...just at a slower pace.

So, for us, it makes a lot of sense. Machine to dig? Check. Bigger mower? Check. Loader? We already have a larger tractor, but now we have two. So, check. With a mini-ex we're more limited in uses and we'd still have the other needs.

I'd say if you really need a way to dig and that's going to be the exclusive use, go with a mini-ex. They're cheaper and better at digging than a small backhoe.
Yes, the ballast part was my question. I guess you also have the weight of tractor in addition to the bucket.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're asking about the front bucket being enough ballast for working the backhoe, then, yes, it is.
If you haven’t already, I’d suggest checking the manual to make sure John Deere agrees with you. One of my dad’s friends had John Deere deny a warranty claim on the front assist drive on his tractor because he hadn’t used rear ballast while using the loader. He was super PO’d about it for a long time, and was telling everybody he knew about it (and he may still be, as mad as he was).

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you haven’t already, I’d suggest checking the manual to make sure John Deere agrees with you. One of my dad’s friends had John Deere deny a warranty claim on the front assist drive on his tractor because he hadn’t used rear ballast while using the loader. He was super PO’d about it for a long time, and was telling everybody he knew about it (and he may still be, as mad as he was).

I was just generally talking about stability while using the backhoe...as in will the tractor stay stable while digging.

You definitely want rear ballast of some sort if you're doing heavy lifting with the loader. Otherwise you're putting too much weight on the front axle. I agree with what you're saying but I was referring to using the backhoe...not the loader. And the outriggers on the backhoe can take a lot of weight off the rear (or all of it, actually) of the tractor. I've never run into any situation where I needed front ballast myself. But I also don't try to overwork the small tractors I've had.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a guy that has a newish john deere bigger farm tractor that won't run because the muffler is malfunctioning. He has bee waiting over a year for a solution. The muffler cost is over 25 grand alone and jon deere won't guarantee it will fix the problem. Interesting is that the same tractor sold in brazil has none of this problematic stuff on it. The india and china are copied the 855 cummins and are kicking our ass with our old tech. We better wake up soon.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just generally talking about stability while using the backhoe...as in will the tractor stay stable while digging.

You definitely want rear ballast of some sort if you're doing heavy lifting with the loader. Otherwise you're putting too much weight on the front axle. I agree with what you're saying but I was referring to using the backhoe...not the loader. And the outriggers on the backhoe can take a lot of weight off the rear (or all of it, actually) of the tractor. I've never run into any situation where I needed front ballast myself. But I also don't try to overwork the small tractors I've had.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.
No, you were clear about that, I’m just suggesting that you make sure John Deere isn’t doing something icky here. Being safe and being in compliance with warranty requirements aren’t always the same thing.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for quick replies, I never considered a Deere because I assumed it would be way over priced. But that doesn't seem too far from the kabota price and if it's 0 percent interest I'll move my research over there for a bit. Thanks
It's not the tractor that's so expensive with JD....it's the green paint. Look for one in another color to save tons. :) :) :) Have a JD 1025 for the kids learnin' curve and finish work. Very pleased for smaller jobs, works way above it's class, price point. Also, JD 4640 160HP....over kill for for how we're using it, but zero regrets.....Eddie Arnold Green Acres proud. Also have Kubota M105S with front loader, hay/brush hog/finish mowers, round baler....nothing but great. Also, a slight over kill again, a Cat 350 Challenger MT765D.....208,000lb draw....maybe won't reverse Earth rotation, but sure slows it......maybe slight overkill again.....run with the big dogs or stay on the porch. The looks from the local REAL farmers is worth the price many times over. All three brands are totally reliable, work hardened, worth the cost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom