Taurus 738 TCP or S&W 380 Nightguard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone here had any experience with either of the latest entries into the 380 pocket pistol market - the S&W 380 Nightguard or the Taurus 738 TCP?

I really like the looks of the S&W - 6+1 with integral Insight laser and ACTUAL SIGHTS!!! Holy cow! What a concept. It's heavier than the Taurus and I'm sure it's pricier since it has the "lay-zer" (Dr. Evil voice) and the "S&W" stamped on its slide.

But, the Taurus has 8+1 with its extended mag. The titanium model weighs in at a mere 9 ounces! However, the sights look to be non-existent and it has no integral laser.

I think both will give the LCP and Kel-Tec a run for their money.

Thoughts?

the tR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone here had any experience with either of the latest entries into the 380 pocket pistol market - the S&W 380 Nightguard or the Taurus 738 TCP?

I really like the looks of the S&W - 6+1 with integral Insight laser and ACTUAL SIGHTS!!! Holy cow! What a concept. It's heavier than the Taurus and I'm sure it's pricier since it has the "lay-zer" (Dr. Evil voice) and the "S&W" stamped on its slide.

But, the Taurus has 8+1 with its extended mag. The titanium model weighs in at a mere 9 ounces! However, the sights look to be non-existent and it has no integral laser.

I think both will give the LCP and Kel-Tec a run for their money.

Thoughts?

i have the tourus and it just has a natural fit to me,, and not gona take long shots with it so point an pull is all i expect of it, if i want a longer shot i'll pull my 9mm kimber.....

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the TCP after trying one out at the range. I cannot comment on the S&W, but I own an LCP and think the TCP compares favorably to it for several reasons:

1.The trigger was smoother, shorter, and lighter - but not too short or too light for a carry piece
2.The trigger guard is angled/sloped out, and not back in towards your trigger finger. This allows more room for you if you are wearing gloves (I cannot fit a gloved finger in my LCP without working it in there, and I have small hands). This also prevents the trigger finger from getting slapped against the inside of the guard, which can cause it to go numb (happens to me occasionally)
3.The reset is noticeably shorter on the TCP. About one our of every 20 shots with my LCP I will not release the trigger enough to reset it.
4.The palm swell is a bit fuller on the TCP. Not much, but enough it makes it more comfortable IMHO
5.It has a REAL slide lock and release, meaning it locks back on the last fired round of the magazine

(I posted this in another thread, but it is just as relevant here.)

The more I think about it, the more I believe the TCP is a very refined and well thought-out pistol. They took many of the pain points of .380 pistols, and did a great job at resolving those issues. Not to mention this pistol is made in the USA, not Brazil, and the super-patriot inside of me likes that :D In all seriousness, comparing the fit and finish to my father's other Taurus pistols (24/7 in .45 and a Millenium in 9mm), I think the TCP is of noticeably better quality than the Brazil-finished pistols.

IMHO, I don't much care for a laser on a CCW as I would be point-shooting from 3-5 yards most likely, and not brandishing the laser beforehand (apolgies to the Crimson Trace marketing department). For the same reasons, the sights are not issue either.

Everyone has different opinions on these pocket pistols. Hell, many people think that unless it's a Rohrbaugh or Seecamp, it's not worth carrying. But I really think Taurus has a good thing going with TCP. I bet if you try one, you'd really like it.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the TCP after trying one out at the range. I cannot comment on the S&W, but I own an LCP and think the TCP compares favorably to it for several reasons:

1.The trigger was smoother, shorter, and lighter - but not too short or too light for a carry piece
2.The trigger guard is angled/sloped out, and not back in towards your trigger finger. This allows more room for you if you are wearing gloves (I cannot fit a gloved finger in my LCP without working it in there, and I have small hands). This also prevents the trigger finger from getting slapped against the inside of the guard, which can cause it to go numb (happens to me occasionally)
3.The reset is noticeably shorter on the TCP. About one our of every 20 shots with my LCP I will not release the trigger enough to reset it.
4.The palm swell is a bit fuller on the TCP. Not much, but enough it makes it more comfortable IMHO
5.It has a REAL slide lock and release, meaning it locks back on the last fired round of the magazine

(I posted this in another thread, but it is just as relevant here.)

The more I think about it, the more I believe the TCP is a very refined and well thought-out pistol. They took many of the pain points of .380 pistols, and did a great job at resolving those issues. Not to mention this pistol is made in the USA, not Brazil, and the super-patriot inside of me likes that :D In all seriousness, comparing the fit and finish to my father's other Taurus pistols (24/7 in .45 and a Millenium in 9mm), I think the TCP is of noticeably better quality than the Brazil-finished pistols.

IMHO, I don't much care for a laser on a CCW as I would be point-shooting from 3-5 yards most likely, and not brandishing the laser beforehand (apolgies to the Crimson Trace marketing department). For the same reasons, the sights are not issue either.

Everyone has different opinions on these pocket pistols. Hell, many people think that unless it's a Rohrbaugh or Seecamp, it's not worth carrying. But I really think Taurus has a good thing going with TCP. I bet if you try one, you'd really like it.

That's some very useful info, Cards81. Thanks for the lengthy write-up on the Taurus. I had no idea it was USA-made. That is a BIG selling point for me.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned the Taurus TCP 738 for about three months now. Contrary to what I've read on some forums, I've had a lot of luck with Taurus guns in general. I'm a big guy with big hands. When I looked at pocket size 380's, the Taurus fit my hand best. I've put over 400 rounds through it with no problems at all. Went to the range Sunday morning and, after taking a beating from my Kahr CW40, I pulled out the little Taurus and it felt like a 22. Easy to hold all six shoots in center mass of target at 10 yards while firing as fast as I could pull the trigger. Shot CarBon hollowpoints and Fiochi ball ammo and never missed a beat. I'll keep it (the Kahr may go away soon though!)

DaveTec

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned the Taurus TCP 738 for about three months now. Contrary to what I've read on some forums, I've had a lot of luck with Taurus guns in general. I'm a big guy with big hands. When I looked at pocket size 380's, the Taurus fit my hand best. I've put over 400 rounds through it with no problems at all. Went to the range Sunday morning and, after taking a beating from my Kahr CW40, I pulled out the little Taurus and it felt like a 22. Easy to hold all six shoots in center mass of target at 10 yards while firing as fast as I could pull the trigger. Shot CarBon hollowpoints and Fiochi ball ammo and never missed a beat. I'll keep it (the Kahr may go away soon though!)

Keep em both! One for range play the other for BGs. If your hand took a beathing from the Kahr, imagine being on the other side of it!

I like to carry my CW45 in a cargo pant's cargo pocket strongside, and my .380 in the normal pocket weakside. (in a wallet type holster)
:rubhands:

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I bought a Taurus 738 TCP the other weekend. One of those deals where I had money burning a hole in my pocket. I have only shot about 30 rounds thru it, but right now I am very happy with the purchase. One of the typical deals with any new pistol, clean it good and run a couple hundred rounds thru it before you are ready for use. Fit and finish seem to be very good as stated before. I would recommend it.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Can't comment on the S&W. I did "fondle" a Taurus TCP and a Ruger LCP at the Cabela's in Billings, MT on Tuesday. Will agree with others that the trigger on the TCP is FAR better than the Ruger. My vote would be the TCP.

Latest posts

Top Bottom