entry level bolt gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
T/C Venture is probably the best value.

But there are lots of other decent ones too - it all depends on the budget - there's several different levels of economy turnbolts.

You said "entry level", so I'd say Stevens 200 or Marlin XL series, instead of the Venture. The Venture is the best bang for the buck "under $500". The Stevens or Marlin are the best bang for the buck "under $375". The Venture is worth stepping up to if you can. IMO. The low-end Savages and low-end Howas are good products too, in the Venture price point class, as well as the budget Remingtons (SPS). Scrunthair over that in price, go CZ 550 or Savage or Vanguard/Howa.

I had high hopes for the Mossberg, but if you believe the internet (and in this particular case, I do), they can be grenades. So buyer beware.

That's where I'd draw the line at 'budgety'. Above that in price, lots of good choices from Winchester, Remington, Browning, and others - I think the T/C Icon is the best value bar none in a rifle under $1,500 or really at any price point, if you don't mind a bit heavier of a gun. The Icon is essentially, as far as I am concerned, Mark V / Sako / Kimber / Steyr quality, *at least*, at a mid-level BrownRemChester price.

FWIW, I'm in a simplification process, and the only centerfire turnbolts that are staying with me are Icon, Mark V, and Vanguard Sub-MOA. Only rimfires turnbolts are CZ.

Risky_Rooster

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went with the Howa 1500, Seemed pretty fairly priced. I believe its built on the Weatherby action.

Fit and Finish was great, but I haven't shot it yet.

Just be careful of the runaway gas pedal! :P (Japanese Manufacturer)

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
What's a good low buck non milsurp bolt gun?

Don't know what caliber you're interested, but if you watch the classifieds, you can find the Stevens 200 cheap. Since the 200 is a low end version of the Savage long action, accessories are more easily available than some other entry level rifles. Don't know if you're interested in upgrading later, but that's worth considering in my opinion.

Anyways, there was a Stevens 200 in .223 rem for $275 IIRC just recently; sold now, but that gives you an idea.

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Caliber doesn't really matter since most of my rifles are milsurp I will have to stock up on ammo anyways. I would like to try and get either .223, .308, or 30-06. I will be using it for deer and an urban sniper course I will be taking in a few months so I want something that's going to work for that. For the class it needs to hold 1 inch at 100 yards at least. My budget is going to be around $500 for just the gun and I really would like to stay around $1,000 for the entire setup (stockpack, bipod, scope, and dragbag). Would the new savage edge be worth looking into? What kind of accuracy is the Stevens capable of?

Latest posts

Top Bottom