Game camera tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a good subject for those just putting out cameras for the first time.
I told my buddy what to do this year, (his first), and he thought I was crazy, but he was buying the beer, so I didn't question him.

Now, 200 pics later of a blade of grass in front of the camera waving in the wind, and one pic of a doe, he understands the need to weed eat infront of the camera.
He will be buying the beer again tomorrow when we go out to use my manual "wick-wack" to clear the grass and weeds in front of his camera.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two years ago I had hudreds of pics (800-900) of N O T H I N G both night and day. The best I could figure out is that the wind moved the camera and that triggered the camera. Some pics were triggered from crows flying into the "trigger zone".

About the only good pic I got was when the camera got accidently triggered and there just happened to be turkeys crossing a fence in the background about 40 - 50 yards away. Frustrating :\

Secure that camera and good luck!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also make sure the tree your hooking up to is strong and big enough to not move in the wind.
Since I have very few if any trees in a couple of spots, a 2X4 stuck in the ground provides a good place to hang a camera.

Yes, we cleaned out my buddies area last night in the rain. He should be good to go.

Copper01

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is a good height to set up the cameras? I know you want them to be within arms reach but is higher better than lower?

I'm scheming to solve the theiving issue...

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two years ago I had hudreds of pics (800-900) of N O T H I N G both night and day. The best I could figure out is that the wind moved the camera and that triggered the camera. Some pics were triggered from crows flying into the "trigger zone".

About the only good pic I got was when the camera got accidently triggered and there just happened to be turkeys crossing a fence in the background about 40 - 50 yards away. Frustrating :\

Secure that camera and good luck!
You said during the night too, so that shoots out that it might have been from the shadows moving from the rising and setting of the sun.

Also make sure the tree your hooking up to is strong and big enough to not move in the wind.
Since I have very few if any trees in a couple of spots, a 2X4 stuck in the ground provides a good place to hang a camera.

Yes, we cleaned out my buddies area last night in the rain. He should be good to go.
I have used a 6.5 foot T post, I attach a small piece of plywood about camera size. I leave the post out there year around. I can strap my camera around it pretty easy.
What is a good height to set up the cameras? I know you want them to be within arms reach but is higher better than lower?

I'm scheming to solve the theiving issue...
I usually have mine up between 4-6 feet. The main issue is to aim it slightly toward the ground so the triggering sensor has a solid background. Try higher and let us know how it works.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My cameras are secured to rather large trees with 550 cord. The bungies that came with them sucked. So the black 550 cord came out. One is on a trunk of a tree and the other is on a limb 8' off the ground at a down angle. easiest place I could get it solidly mounted.

No security of any type. just put them up. If they get stolen, screw it. We will hunt blind. Not going to spend any more money to set new cameras. Next year we will add some to the mix.

I love the first few pics and last few pics on each camera. Always funny postures of either me or whoever was with me at the time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love the first few pics and last few pics on each camera. Always funny postures of either me or whoever was with me at the time.

Me too. I'm always riding up on my 3 wheeler, or filling a feeder.
Thankfully it hasn't caught me picking my nose or anything:lmfao:

Here is one I staged the other day, knowing it was going to happen:D

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_photo.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom