plated 9mm bullets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently acquired a bunch of 9mm 115gr plated round nose bullets, I loaded up a batch with 4.5 grains of bulls eye and an overall length of 1.125, I couldn't get a decent group at all out of either my Firestar or Star M30, both of which normally do pretty well. Any suggestions, This if my first experience with plated bullets.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, they aren't keyholing.
I am using a taper crimp die in the 4th. station but I didn't change the adjustment after switching from hard cast lead to the Plated. I will check it and re-set it if its doing more than taking out the bell, Thanks for the imput.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Plated bullets just stink with some guns, you could maybe try a different powder if the crimp isn't your problem.

What is you're definition of "not performing?" If you can get a 5-6'' 25 yard group I'd be happy with them for plinking.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another thing. Don't try to hot rod them. They are soft lead under the plating and won't take much more than a lead bullet. The plating is thin and it can still "strip" through the rifling. I think all the companies say to use cast bullet data.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I mic'd a round and found that the dia. at the case mouth is .376. The cases are a little over .010 wall thickness and the bullets mic at .355 so I think that rules out the crimp. Maybe I should back off on the powder. As for group size I'm not sure what the plinking range at Red Castle is, Maybe 15 - 20 yards but I could not get a full magazine on an 8x11 sheet from a rest (actually 2 out of a mag.) with the Firestar and normally it does much better.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think you've found that your gun just doesn't like plated bullets, from the right sources jacketed can be virtually the same cost.

Last time I looked MG 115's were 75 or so per K, not sure you're going to beat that by much with plated bullets.

Makinit

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad to get in on this, I have a question. Plateds need to be loaded at lead RN data don't they? They are not really copper jackets, just copper skin, and need lead bullet charges, right? How doses this differ from hard cast like Hunter supply?

Latest posts

Top Bottom