Laws regarding building an AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljb2of3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey all,

After shooting an AR yesterday I've decided I'd like to have one. I also think I'd like to build it myself as a project to keep me busy. (new job, more free time at home now)

I'm thinking about joining the spikes lower group buy to get started. But before I do I want to make sure I'm not going to run anto any legal issues.

I know there are length requrements, but thats about all I know.

I see references to tax stamps and forms but I don't know anything about them Can someone point me at the info I need to read?

Thanks,
Landy

oubgdv2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i built two one myself and one by wardog outfitters, the one i built was on a sonju milled lower receiver, there out of montana, and on a stag upper receiver. sonju lower receiver was tight on the magwell some mags would not go in easily but other than that it shot great. used a dpms lower parts group with no problems. as long as you are not making it a class 3 is the main thing. if it is going to be a sbr you need to get the lower recievier classified that way. some manufacturers will already have that done if you buy the lower from them, ex. lmt. sun devil, etc. also that goes for pistol ar15's,the other one was built by wardog outfitters out of buffalo michigan on black rain ordnance billet upper with custom barrel in 6.5 grendel stainless steel heavy with flutes and adams arms gas piston. the lower was black rain ordnance bought from mark's firearms out of moore, ok, they have a link on okshooters, had a gun smith put this lower together for me using dpms trigger assembly i scratched the last one doing it myself and i spent to much money on this one to have it happen again shoots great, if you do it yourself make sure you have the right tools or scratches will happen, black rain has very nice receivers and they also have barrels from les baer, the first one that i did myself was a lot of fun to build I would do it again but need to get better tools. there are some good videos on you tube or ar15.com. I also like sun devil lower receivers but there magwells are tight also. had a yankee hill and it was a little to loose to me and the mag release tab would break, but the magwell was nice and accepted all types of mags with ease. all in all i like black rain i have had colt, olympic,bushmaster,armalite,stag,yankee hill,sonju,model 1,rosio arsenal, parts of a lmt, but so far the best for me has been black rain ordnance they are more expensive but the quality has been very good.

oubgdv2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i built two one myself and one by wardog outfitters, the one i built was on a sonju milled lower receiver, there out of montana, and on a stag upper receiver. sonju lower receiver was tight on the magwell some mags would not go in easily but other than that it shot great. used a dpms lower parts group with no problems. as long as you are not making it a class 3 is the main thing. if it is going to be a sbr you need to get the lower recievier classified that way. some manufacturers will already have that done if you buy the lower from them, ex. lmt. sun devil, etc. also that goes for pistol ar15's,the other one was built by wardog outfitters out of buffalo michigan on black rain ordnance billet upper with custom barrel in 6.5 grendel stainless steel heavy with flutes and adams arms gas piston. the lower was black rain ordnance bought from mark's firearms out of moore, ok, they have a link on okshooters, had a gun smith put this lower together for me using dpms trigger assembly i scratched the last one doing it myself and i spent to much money on this one to have it happen again shoots great, if you do it yourself make sure you have the right tools or scratches will happen, black rain has very nice receivers and they also have barrels from les baer, the first one that i did myself was a lot of fun to build I would do it again but need to get better tools. there are some good videos on you tube or ar15.com. I also like sun devil lower receivers but there magwells are tight also. had a yankee hill and it was a little to loose to me and the mag release tab would break, but the magwell was nice and accepted all types of mags with ease. all in all i like black rain i have had colt, olympic,bushmaster,armalite,stag,yankee hill,sonju,model 1,rosio arsenal, parts of a lmt, but so far the best for me has been black rain ordnance they are more expensive but the quality has been very good.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey all,

After shooting an AR yesterday I've decided I'd like to have one. I also think I'd like to build it myself as a project to keep me busy. (new job, more free time at home now)

I'm thinking about joining the spikes lower group buy to get started. But before I do I want to make sure I'm not going to run anto any legal issues.

I know there are length requrements, but thats about all I know.

I see references to tax stamps and forms but I don't know anything about them Can someone point me at the info I need to read?

Thanks,
Landy

You will fill out a standard 4473 when you buy the stripped lower as it is considered the serial numbered "firearm". As long as you plan on making it with a 16" or longer barrel and the overal length is 26" or longer, you are good to go.
If you want to make it a short barreled rifle (less than 16"/26") than you will need to file an ATF Form 1 and pay a $200 tax (the "stamp" is attached to the Form 1 to show the tax was paid) and get your name, city and state engraved.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You will fill out a standard 4473 when you but the stripped lower as it is considered the serial numbered "firearm". As long as you plan on making it with a 16" or longer barrel and the overal length is 26" or longer, you are good to go.
If you want to make it a short barreled rifle (less than 16"/26") than you will need to file an ATF Form 1 and pay a $200 tax (the "stamp" is attached to the Form 1 to show the tax was paid) and get your name, city and state engraved.

Like he said ^^^ If it's going to be a 16" barrel then you won't have problems. It's when you want all the cool stuff like shorter barrels or silencers etc. that's when the tax stamps come in to play.

ljb2of3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like he said ^^^ If it's going to be a 16" barrel then you won't have problems. It's when you want all the cool stuff like shorter barrels or silencers etc. that's when the tax stamps come in to play.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification! I'm sure I'll want a silencer at some point in the future, but for now, a regular 16" AR is a good start.

Latest posts

Top Bottom