Looking for a different WMA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weav199

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm, two votes for black kettle. Never occurred to me to go west. I will check that out.
I will look at that island Dr.. I'll be blackpowdering locally and have put a lot of miles on my boots in that area. My profile pic came out of Hickory Creek. I'm able to scout on the weekends. Thx for the feedback guys.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you choose Black Kettle I would expect to make plans where to hunt next year on opening weekend this year. There are several guys that go out there the week before season and set up camp at there hunting area. One of the easiest ways to find a spot not heavily hunted is to look around opening weekend and see where nobody else is. Then you can "claim" it for years to come.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go west. Black Kettle, Ellis Co., etc. Lots of deer in that open country out there.

Really, deer densities are lower in this part of the world. You can just see them because it is wide open.

Don't be fooled. Black Kettle produces a lot of deer each year. It also harnesses a boat load of hunters as well. Muzzle loader season used to be pretty peaceful around there, it has now morphed into a prelude to rifle season.

Packsaddle is the polar opposite of Black kettle. Most hunters that like black kettle don't seem to like packsaddle and most hunters that like packsaddle don't like black kettle. Black kettle is very easy to access. At packsaddle, you have to work for a deer. There are good odds that you will be dragging or carting a deer a long ways if you shoot one. In my opinion, there are slightly bigger deer at BK than packsaddle. I hunt both very regularly throughout archery season.

On the note of pigs, black kettle has pigs, mostly in the southern portion of the district. Packsaddle also has pigs, but they tend to be very transient and there are no where near as many pigs around the general area as there are in other parts of the state. The biggest group of porkers I have ever seen at either of the two was about 15.

For those looking at hunting packsaddle this rifle season, please be prepared for the oilfield activity. I was by there today and there are three active rigs on the area right now that have just gone up in the last few days. Coupled with the construction of other locations and roads to the new locations, it is a very busy place right now. Not that I feel like it will affect deer activity, but I figure some guys might like to know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom