Best Magazine for 10 22 M1 Carbine Tribute Build?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 10 22 and plan on adding the M1 Carbine conversion stock, Tech Sights, and a reproduction sling, oiler, and mag pouch. The only thing left on the list is a magazine that somewhat resembles the M1 mag.

Are there any aftermarket mags that come close? I've spent some time searching the web and haven't come up with anything. I've seen a few pics of M1 mags cut down and attached to the factory Ruger 10 rounders but it just looks sloppy IMO.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might just have to go with a black mag. I would find one with steel lips.
By the way. Cool Hand Luke is was of my all time Favs.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might just have to go with a black mag. I would find one with steel lips.
By the way. Cool Hand Luke is was of my all time Favs.

Do they make any high capacity mags that aren't the banana style? I would be thrilled to find a straight 10-20 round metal mag (or black plastic that wasn't clear).

I'm pretty much a sucker for any older movies with Newman, Eastwood, or McQueen. :patriot:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, please post pics. Those M1 Carbine 10\22s are about seven kinds of cool.

Will do...I plan on ordering most everything today. :thumbup3:

I also found another option for the mag. There are dual mag clips that attach 2 10 round Ruger mags together. Once a dust cover is added they are probably the best looking option short of fabricating an actual M1 mag to fit.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well...bad news. I received the stock and Tech Sights yesterday, but I don't think that I'm going to end up using doing the M1 Carbine conversion after all. I had planned on occasionally swapping back and forth between the rear Tech Sight and my existing scope but ufortunately the scope mount and scope setup doesn't work with the stock. I just like shooting the rifle with the scope too much and I'm not about to start searching for a new scope and mount. Looks like the M1 conversion stock may be in the classifieds soon if I can't return it. :nono2:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the factory wood stock, a 10/22 looks enough like an M1 Carbine if you put tech sights on it and get an upper forearm cover like the one on this site for $5 -- http://www.internationalpolicesupply.net/yardsale.htm

As for a mag that imitates the M1 Carbine, I've seen rifles set up like that with this type of dual-clip magazine holder: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=...7c187_a_7c829_a_7c100003421_d_100003403_d_387

It clamps 2 factory 10-rounders together bottom-to-bottom. This sticks down straight, and sort of gives the appearance of a stick mag like the carbine.

The main thing you wouldn't have is the sling and oiler setup like the carbine... but honestly, the sling is my least favorite part of that rifle. It takes a narrow little sling and attaches on the side, so it is awkward for use as a marksmanship aid. Plus it attaches to the barrel band, which puts pressure on the barrel when you sling up. On a 10/22, I much prefer an M-1/M-14 sling attached with bottom sling swivels... it is much more useful, and still has a GI look to it.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the factory wood stock, a 10/22 looks enough like an M1 Carbine if you put tech sights on it and get an upper forearm cover like the one on this site for $5 -- http://www.internationalpolicesupply.net/yardsale.htm

As for a mag that imitates the M1 Carbine, I've seen rifles set up like that with this type of dual-clip magazine holder: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=...7c187_a_7c829_a_7c100003421_d_100003403_d_387

It clamps 2 factory 10-rounders together bottom-to-bottom. This sticks down straight, and sort of gives the appearance of a stick mag like the carbine.

The main thing you wouldn't have is the sling and oiler setup like the carbine... but honestly, the sling is my least favorite part of that rifle. It takes a narrow little sling and attaches on the side, so it is awkward for use as a marksmanship aid. Plus it attaches to the barrel band, which puts pressure on the barrel when you sling up. On a 10/22, I much prefer an M-1/M-14 sling attached with bottom sling swivels... it is much more useful, and still has a GI look to it.

^ I 100% agree. I just decided to build a Liberty Training Rifle instead and occasionally swap the rear Tech Sight out for the scope. The M1 stock only decreased the functionality of the rifle. My conclusion...If you want a cheap shooting M1 clone go with an Erma, or put the $200 towards buying the real thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom