.300 Blackout. Owning an AR pistol and rifle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth247

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For anyone that hasn't heard yet, AAC and Remington have made the .300 whisper concept legitimate with their new .300 BLK (stands for blackout) cartridge. It is saami spec'd and open license. So anyone can use it.
[Broken External Image]
It's a 5.56 cartridge cut down and necked up to .308 cal. It fixes the reliability problems of the 7.62x39 AK round in semiauto ARs cause by the Ak rounds extreme taper. It will use standard AR 5.56 magazines with no loss in capacity and will use all standard AR parts designed for the 5.56 except the barrel. Bolt and carrier will remain the same. The round has more energy out of a 9 inch barrel than the 5.56 does out of 16". Not only that, but it also sounds awesome...BLACKOUT! Hehe...that's what the enemy will do when they hear thats what you're bringing!

Standard loads will include a 125, 155, and even a 220gr subsonic load pushing 500lbs muzzle energy.

Now, as they say, I told you that story so I could tell you this story.

I want in on this .300 BLk action. I want a 9" barrel and will throw a suppressor on it as well. But I don't want to pony up for the suppressor AND SBR paperwork at the same time cause I'm cheap. So I was thinking about building a pistol AR lower and throwing the 9" .300blk upper and suppressor on it for now, then filling for the SBR papers.

But that got me thinking, I know owning a short barreled upper and a rifle lower can get you in trouble if you don't allready have the SBR papers.(what is it called? Intent to manufacture or something?)

So, i allready own a 5.56 rifle. Once I have it and a .300blk pistol both in my possession, and since I can easily swap the uppers creating an SBR, would that count as intent to manufacture or whatever it's called?

Or would I be safe from the BATFe boogeyman?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can buy pistol marked lowers for about the same price as regular ones. Thats the only way I would ever have an ar pistol.

By your story, does that mean Remington is going to produce ammo? How long til available?
I've been reading about the whisper rounds and am thinking about building one on a Rem 600 action I've got laying around.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For anyone that hasn't heard yet, AAC and Remington have made the .300 whisper concept legitimate with their new .300 BLK (stands for blackout) cartridge. It is saami spec'd and open license. So anyone can use it.

It's a 5.56 cartridge necked up to .30 cal. It fixes the reliability problems of the 7.62x39 AK round in semiauto ARs cause by the Ak rounds extreme taper. It will use standard AR 5.56 magazines with no loss in capacity and will use all standard AR parts designed for the 5.56 except the barrel. Bolt and carrier will remain the same. The round has more energy out of a 9 inch barrel than the 5.56 does out of 16".

Standard loads will include a 125, 155, and even a 220gr subsonic load pushing 500lbs muzzle energy.

I need to look into that. Do you have the cost?

Seth247

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The website is http://300aacblackout.com/

The uppers they're selling are pricey, were talking about AAC here after all. Jason, a rep with AAC that's been commenting on TheFirearmsBlog said they are trying to make ammo competitive with standard 5.56 ammo.

The good news is that the round is open license unlike 6.5 and all those so anyone can make a barrel for it without paying AAC or Remington.

I believe Remington is producing the ammo for it since both them and AAC are owned by Cerberus/freedom group I believe.

They have AR uppers for it out and also barrels for the Remington 700.

I imagine that virtually any rifle chambered for 5.56 could run this round with just a barrel change. And since it's .308 cal. It's legal to hunt with everywere unlike 5.56.

Seth247

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless the lower is registered as an SBR that is a NO NO. I'd leave it a pistol and NOT push my luck.

I don't mean I plan to put the SB upper on the rifle lower. I don't. I mean could I get in trouble for owning the pistol and the rifle. Since, in the eyes of the BATFe, I could easily swap the uppers and then I would have an illegal SBR. I won't do that, since the .300 pistol would be better off as a home defense pistol anyway, but the BATFe could take umbrage that it's possible for me to do so. Know what I mean?

Seth247

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think its actually .221 Fireball necked up to .30 cal.

Anyways, I want one in a bolt action. 16" barrel. Integral suppressor. Thank you very much.

The .300 whisper was based on the .221. IDK which Remington based the blackout on. I guess it comes out to the same thing in the end.

I know there were rumors that the .223/5.56 case was not quite thick enough for making .300 whisper safely but I know if you had a non-whisper chamber bored at .300/.221 or whatever they called it then you could use 5.56 brass safely. (I "know" all this cause I just read it on wikipedia;) ) I would think Remington would use the chamber specs that allowed use of 5.56 brass for .300blk manufacturing. Since it would be cheaper and reloader friendly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom