11 State Pension Funds that May Run Out of Money

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Provided by The Business Insider, October, 18, 2010:

Here's a shocker: The most immediate state pension crises aren't in New York or California. They're in Middle America.

When it comes to state pensions in the most trouble, do places like New Hampshire come to mind? Probably not, unless you live there, and maybe not even then.

After all, it makes sense that the biggest, most populous members of the union, where budget follies are fairly common, would be facing the most urgently needed fixes. The truth is considerably different. The Granite State claims the No. 11 slot, and it's not the only unexpected name facing pension woes.

For complete article:
http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/11-state-pension-funds-that-may-run-of-out-money-535516.html?tickers=^dji,^tnx,^gspc,spy,dia

#1 Illinois

#2 Connecticut

#3 Indiana

#4 New Jersey

#5 Hawaii

#6 Louisiana

#7 Oklahoma

#8 Colorado

#9 Kansas

#10 Kentucky

#11 New Hampshire

striker754

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This article should REALLY point out that these numbers are based on 8% return. Good luck getting 8% return especially in the types of investments that pension funds should be invested in. Reaching for yield inevitably leads to capital loss which is going to make the situation worse.

It will be an interesting show to watch pensions blow up along with Federal entitlements being cut drastically. Grab the popcorn and have a seat.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have another 23 years before reaching full eligibility in TRS... don't take all the money before I get there.

Still have a few, I got in late.
Don't think my check will be responsible for draining it.

Hey ... didn't TRS try to "tap" OLERS a few years back??

They've been both tapper,s and tappee's.
But it was the state congress that tried to do that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom