deer feeder (coon proof)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have found 2 major flaws with tripod corn feeders:
1. Even fenced off, the cows eventually worm their way in and end up knocking the feeder over and tearing it up, not to mention wasting all the feed.
2. Farkin coons shimmy up the legs and pull the feed out by hand, regardless of electrified varmint guards, razors on the legs, and every other deterrent on the market.

So, laid it all out in my head over the summer and here's what I come up with. barrel, feeder control box, all-thread, chain, cable, pulleys, and a boat winch. about $150 worth of materials.
First attempt was a flop. tried to use 1 pulley between the winch and the feeder, but bottom only gets about 4 ft off the ground before it hits the cable between the winch and the pulley.
Added a second pulley up the same tree as the winch so the cable made more of an upside down U shape instead of a V.

ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_Photo_0044.jpg

Had a camera on it for about 3 weeks now. the coons still come and eat the corn on the ground, climb the tree and get on top of the feeder, but they aren't getting any extra.
The base on this one is about 16 ft high, way higher than any tripod. scatters the corn in about a 75 ft diameter area on low speed. It's got 350lbs of corn in it, and I'm much more comfortable about the stability of this one.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thats a good method.
I don't have pics, but on one of my tripod stands, I've just rolled some 16 ga expanded metal around the feeder and it keeps them out.
The deer are just as bad as the coons about licking corn off the spinner.

RackStacker30

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks really nice. Good job getting it figured out. We did the same thing at one of our leases this year where cattle beat the heck out of everything. We screwed the winch directly into a small tree and hung the feeder with a double pulley system (one at top of tree branch that it's hanging from and one directly on the drum. This helped to reduce the load on the winch. We also learned the hard way that we needed to beef things up with chain and also needed some safety insurance by putting legs on the bottom of the drum which extend down past the controller. I'll take some pics next time I'm out there and post them in here.

What kind of contraption did you rig up for mounting the winch to the tree? Looks a lot better than mounting it to the tree like we did.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did something like this about 10 years ago and after 2 weeks with no problems I found 2 coons stranded on top of the feeder they found a way on to it but they still couldn't eat anything. When I was lowering the feeder down as soon as it got about 4 foot from the ground they jumped ship and ran it was the funniest thing I have seen a coon do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom