Knives made from G10 or other synthetic material

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not looking to "sneak anything" into a place where they're not allowed, but I've been looking at G10 (blade and handle) fixed-blade knives as well as some of the ceramics and such.

Anyone have any experience with any of these or know of good materials over bad?

I can think of a few places where metal-detectors are setup, but there is no legal reason for me not to have a gun/knife. If I have to give up my gun in those situations (and yes, I've heard that folks sneak past metal detectors all the time with their CCW in places that aren't legally off-limits - I'm not that brave), I figure that a good fixed-blade knife might be worth having just in case.

I don't remember anything specific in the OK SDA about synthetic materials, but if there is any legal reason for not carrying a synthetic-material fixed-blade, I'll avoid this route altogether.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you tried to carry an all synthetic knife through a security checkpoint and got caught, it could be considered "artful concealment" and raise the penalty incurred.

I have several G10 handled knives and it's tough stuff. Not sure about a G10 blade though.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you tried to carry an all synthetic knife through a security checkpoint and got caught, it could be considered "artful concealment" and raise the penalty incurred.

I have several G10 handled knives and it's tough stuff. Not sure about a G10 blade though.

Not trying to go to places where its legally not allowed, so I don't know what penalty I'd incur in the first place.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that's the case, then why not go with a traditional steel blade? Although I've heard good things about edge retention on ceramic blades.

Thinking of places like concerts or sporting events where metal detectors are there, but there's no reason that I can't carry a legal-sized OK SDA defined fixed-blade knife. I've been shaken down in CA before when I lived there and told that my knife looked too evil (it was a hooked-blade utility knife I used for cable-cutting and subsequently had on-hand as a utility knife/pocket knife). It was well under the CA limit for folding pocket knives at the time, but I had to go return it to the car.

Another place would be Six Flags in TX - metal detectors, but per TX law, fixed blade knives under a specific size are allowed (they most likely wouldn't say anything about a folding knife, but if you walked in there with a fixed-blade, you're subject to private security's version of what the rules are at the time).

I hate dis-arming, and often times, a fixed-blade knife would be well under-powered compared to something like a stun-gun, tazer, or pepper spray, but all those things are in metal containers and would set off a metal-detector (and could easily be rejected depending on the private security person at the time who may or may not know the rules/laws).

Just seems like it would be less of a hassle, but I'm not married to the idea - just looking for feedback (and I appreciate the feedback from someone who works around serious government security GTG, but I'm not looking to get this into an airport or past a federal security checkpoint at all - no way that's worth the risk - just looking at places that are legally allowed, but subject to creative "interpretation" by someone who can keep me out, but may not know the law).

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would take a magnet and test it before I bought it. Back in the 80s a place in Ark. made all plastic? boot knives (may have been Choate). After several were sneaked onto planes and into jails/prisons the gov'mt made them mold a piece of steel into it.
Killed their sales.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would take a magnet and test it before I bought it. Back in the 80s a place in Ark. made all plastic? boot knives (may have been Choate). After several were sneaked onto planes and into jails/prisons the gov'mt made them mold a piece of steel into it.
Killed their sales.

See, I've been reading about that and a lot of what I've read is said to be rumors and not actual government intervention. Just that a lot of places caved (especially after 9/11) and stopped producing them.

Obviously the biggest market to own a knife like this is to "beat a metal detector" and I guess folks automatically think of Airport when they think metal detector. I've got too much to loose as a legal citizen, so I don't.

That's one I was looking at CY - thanks for the info.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Newt Livesay knives including NRG are all hand made in Arkansas by Newt.

not obvious but the included kydex sheath is an integral part of knife. Newt makes the best kydex knife sheaths in the world bar none.

NRG blades are amazingly stiff and functional. don't even think of taking one of these to the airport.

Latest posts

Top Bottom