Questions about deer feeders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This year, I might have to break down and get a feeder to attract some deer for rifle season.

With my recovering health, I don't have the energy to do nearly the hiking I typically do and now both my boys are very enthusiastic about getting a deer, so I'm thinking that maybe the wisdom of some of the folks I used to think were doing things the "easy way" is now sinking in to my thick skull.

I've never hunted over or used a feeder. I've got several good places where deer are and just this year ordered some trail-cams (also a first for me).

I'm pretty sure that I haven't gotten these things out in time this year, but I planned on doing it anyways and possibly throwing out a mineral block or two.

First question - is it too late for me to do this? Would I basically be introducing something foreign to the deer's area that would spook them until after rifle season?

Second question - is this even a good idea to attract them to a spot or do I basically need to be feeding them for a while before they actually come back to it (I can just wait until after this rifle season and prepare for next year if I have to)?

Third question - What types of feeders are everyone using and how do you like them? I'm considering using some home-made designs I've seen online, but there are a few "bump feeders" available in stores for cheap that folks seem to have good results with. Also, automatic feeders seem to be nice, but I hear a lot about bad motors, faulty electronics, etc... and I don't want to have to mess with that (reviews seem to be all over the place).

I've got a couple of spots picked out that I can get into but its still going to be a trek back in there so higher capacity is nice so I don't have to mess with it but a few times a week at most.

Been really eyeballing this setup that tjones96761 put together, and would like to know more about what feeder-control system he used (perhaps he'll chime in, or I can PM him I guess).

http://okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102904&highlight=feeder

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think if you got something out this weekend, they'll be hitting it regular by rifle season. Gravity feeders and bump feeders will bankrupt normal folks, I'd get something with a timer.

The one in that thread started out as a 6 volt Remington kind from Walmart, and it wore me out keeping it working. between coons, cows, rain, wasps, and "normal stuff", I eventually replaced every component, and rebuilt the box a few times.
On the rest of the ones I built I bought a 12vdc heavy duty motor and spinner plate ($25), basic digital timer, bossbuck or something ($20), surplus ammo can ($5), and 12v/5ah battery ($8) for a trailer break-away system.
The original Remington system would run about 2-3 weeks on a 6 volt battery, mine runs about 250 days feeding twice per day. I feed about 3lbs/day, barrel holds 350lbs, so I could let it run 3 months straight, but I usually check then every couple weeks.
It mostly depends on what your facilities and tools are. I built 4 tripod type from scratch, rebuilt the Remington one about 5 times (cows are hard on them), and built the first hanging one this year. My wife was pregnant last year, so I had ALOT of free time to tinker.
I'll get some better pics and post them up to give you a jump start. I wish there was a Do-It-Yourself section on this forum. I'm a farm-engineer and build just about all my big hunting stuff.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
THis is hands down the best feeder on the market. As far as reliability and battery life. I had one for 5 years and all I ever did besides add corn was change the battery once a year. It auto adjusts for daylight and dark.

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?PID=50518&w=PQ+JDyOLrQE=

Okbassin should be along shortly to agree with me. He has several of these and I am pretty sure his older ones are 5+ maybe older I can't remember what he said.

You can either slap it on a 55 gallon drum (capacity for about a month maybe slight shorter) or a 5 gallon buck and fill it once or twice a week.

All that being said if you get it out ASAP I would say you should be good by second weekend of rifle.

BTW the one I had only broke because I am an idiot not any fault of the design or mechanical parts.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, this is sounding like it might work. I may have to look into building a bigger setup like Tjones has for next year, but for now, I might just have to hook up that Kenco - it seems to get good online reviews.

So, do I need to put a spout into the bottom of the bucket/barrel to guide the feed into the prop or just cut a hole and mount that thing to it? I realize there's going to be wiring and battery storage, but I'm not familiar with how the bottom-end of these things work (if its just an open hole, then cool).

I just need it to feed for a few weeks at a time, but a month might be nice, so I might be able to get away with a 10gal bucket or 20 gal trash-can or something.

I'd still like to hang it via pulleys like Tjones had, so I'm probably going to go that route, but overall - I think I can get this thing out before the weekend.

Appreciate the help guys.

BTW, I know this thread:

http://okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92343&highlight=feeder

...discussed some of the finer points, but what sort of feed would I run in this thing this late in the season (this is going to be east of Okmulgee - in an area with corn and peanut fields around, lots of hay fields, and creeks/wooded areas with a few pecan and oak trees that bear acorns)?

Just corn, a mix of corn/???, something else entirely?

All the help is appreciated for sure.

Reaction score
Not too late at all. They don't really 'need' them or start to hit them hard until it's cold and the vegetation is all but gone - late Nov to early Dec. Then, they work best of course, in the coldest / harshest parts of winter (at least those harshest parts that are still legal) - Dec through end of season (Jan 15) - the later the better. My lone deer last year was on Jan 14th or 15th over corn - and I'd been hunting all year. The colder the winter, the more likely they are to 'work'. Just plain corn is what you want. Doesn't hurt to add other stuff, like dried molasses or other grains, but I don't think it actually helps all that much - it may, though.

During the full-on rut, bucks couldn't care less about eating, but does do, and bucks follow does, so if you get close but not too close to the feeder (maybe 75 to 150 yards away from it), it can even possibly help you find a buck during the rut -one who is trailing a doe going to your feeder. But they mainly help to help your herd survive if the winter is harsh, and help you harvest after the rut.

One on a pulley system is good - but also, feeders that have a ladder and platform like the "Big A" Game Winner feeder at Academy are a good choice too. Also, the Game Winner "Little Boy" is nice because it's short enough that you can just dump in from where you're standing (unless you're a 'little person').

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ezbake the feeder will come with a little funnel to put in the bottom of the bucket. I would suggest glueing that in. It will prevent the raccoons from pushing the funnel up in the bucket and emptying it all. They can still spin it but I have found that while they get some they won't empty it completely.

There is a bit of a learning curve for the deer...the first time or two it spins while they are around they will bug out but it doesn't last long. I just use corn and they are already hitting it hard. I have just welded up platforms with a ladder on one side for mine. It doesn't have to be really tall maybe 6 foot off the ground. Wish I had pictures of one of mine. They arn't pretty because I just use whatever scrap I have laying around.

You will not be sorry going with the kenco....mine worked for 5 years after I dropped the 55 gallon drum on it and crushed it. I rebuilt it with a soup can and jb weld hahaha. The key thing with it is to set it up on a sunny day with at least 3 hours of sunlight left. This lets the light sensor calibrate then it will never need adjusting again. On a cloudy day it feeds a little later than when it is sunny.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No the funnel is not absolutely necessary but I would recommend one when you get setup with the 55 gallon barrel. They are like 20 bucks and I feel like it runs smoother and doesnt ever clog with the funnel in it.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 different things being said here, funnel and spout.
I don't have funnels in mine, but they hold about 20lbs when it's "empty".
I only built 1 that didn't have a spout, and I plan to correct it this summer. If you just put a hole without the spout the corn falls out too fast and over runs the spinner plate. Without a spout it mostly just drops feed instead of slinging it. the spout doesn't have to be anything fancy, a piece of pvc pipe a couple inches long glued to the bottom will do.
I personally had bad luck with the photo-kinetic type timers, but the Kenco isn't what I had. It would go off at the earliest hint of light in the morning, which was as much as 30 minutes before shooting light sometimes. On sunny days when a storm would roll in the timer would go off, and if it was overcast it wouldn't go off at all. The programmable timer fixed that, but did add some maintenance. I have mine set for 8 and 5 now, will to change next week for daylight savings.
As far as hanging the feeder, a come-along is a much easier and cheaper solution, I just happened on the boat wench. If you aren't scared of heights (like I am) you could do away with the pulleys and just hang the come-along of the branch and climb up when you needed to let it down. I designed that one so installation and maintenance could all be done from the ground.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I went shopping around today looking for a 10 gal bucket (or a trash can) and some mounting hardware. I think I'm going to have to head up to Ace or Lowes and check out what they have because once again, Okmulgee is disappointing in what we have here.

The bucket just seems too handy since its already got a sealable lid and carry handle to mount it on. I picked out a couple of pullies and some mounting hardware (I figure if I keep it to 15gal or less, I can muscle it up without a winch or come-along and make a loop or hook to hold it in place) and I think I have a tree or two picked out where I can hang this when the Kenco comes in (went ahead and ordered one).

Definitely appreciate everyone's help on this - I was actually a little concerned that I wasn't even going to be able to go Deer hunting this year other than to go sit on a hill-top and wait 'em out. This will make things a lot better (especially for my two boys).

Latest posts

Top Bottom