What is the legal length blade in oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcgee10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
�21-1272. Unlawful carry.

UNLAWFUL CARRY

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes;
2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute or authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;
3. The carrying, possession and use of any weapon by a peace officer or other person authorized by law to carry a weapon in the performance of official duties and in compliance with the rules of the employing agency; or
4. The carrying and use of firearms and other weapons provided in this subsection when used for the purpose of living history reenactment. For purposes of this paragraph, "living history reenactment" means depiction of historical characters, scenes, historical life or events for entertainment, education, or historical documentation through the wearing or use of period, historical, antique or vintage clothing, accessories, firearms, weapons, and other implements of the historical period.

Did I read that right about the "spring-type knife?" Are assisted opening knives now illegal?

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did I read that right about the "spring-type knife?" Are assisted opening knives now illegal?

According to my neighbor who is a retired supreme court justice of Oklahoma, the Spring-assisted type are NOT illegal give they only have a single sharp side and one blunt side (hence these open by pushing the blade). Any blade which is spring loaded operates via a button is.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just because it isn't a law doesn't mean someone didn't get arrested for it.

Yep, the whole "or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed" leave a lot of leeway for a prosecutor and judge to play with. No real definition that I have found in Oklahoma law that defines exactly what "any other offensive weapon" is. Could be a pair of scissors, an ink pen, a can of wasp spray, a cannon etc. Kind of like Article 134 of the UCMJ, AKA the catch all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom