44 Rem Mag (Rifle) Reloading ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keppler

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked up a box of Hornady Flex Tip bullets yesterday at a shop I don't normally use. I was wanting 240 grain or maybe lighter but all I could find locally was the 265 grain so I picked up some. Anyway, Hornady's website lists the 265 gr. for use in the 444 Marlin and I want to use them in a 44 Mag. in a Winchester 94. If I reduce the charge listed for the 240 gr. in 44 mag. by 10% do you think I would be ok using the 265 gr? Lot heavier than I want or need and could order some but off work this week and wanted to try it out.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reducing magnum powder loads by an unknown factor can lead to erratic and sometimes dangerous effects. The general rule is no more than 5% iirc.

I'd contact Hornady and ask for their recommendations.

bjl333

Marksman
Reaction score
According to Wiki, the 265gr bullet is .430 which is .001 bigger. I am guessing its gonna be longer bullet too. That will combine to put much more pressure in the chamber. I'd do what GTG saids.

keppler

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to keep dragging this out but I noticed something. Hornady's 44mag. listings are also .430? The box of JHP that I have been shooting are Hornady and are also .430, The rifle shoots them real good I just don't like the HP for hunting. The box of factory Winchester soft points that I have is .429? The rifle shoots the .430 better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom