Weaver style on Picatinny rail?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking about trying a red dot style sight to see if helps with my eyesight but do not know if it will work for me. Anyway I am looking at a cheap sight to try on my Siaga 7.62x39 but the cheapies all fit a Weaver style mount. I was told that they will also work on a Picatinny Mount but want to double check.

I know I can get a more expensive sight that will fit the Picatinny Mount and will if this works for me but want to try the cheapie first. If it does I will move the cheap sight to my Hi-Point carbine and get a good sight for the Siaga.

Has anyone used a Weaver style mount on a Picatinny rail?

Something like this

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=910680

Mounted on something like this

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-127/AK47-SAIGA-SCOPE-MOUNT/Detail

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not buy any of BSA's electronic stuff. I've seen several break. If you want a cheap red dot, I'd ger a Primary Arms at a minimum. He sells his stuff with mounts that fit pic rails and his products are pretty tough. If it will truly fit on a weaver (and you have enough space on your pic rail) then you should be fine.

One word of caution - your irons on the Saiga might not be the same height as AR-15 standard irons so you'll probably want to make sure and then get the lower mount than the lower 1/3 co-witness height for ARs.

If you're dead set on going the cheap route, go to WalMart or Academy and get a CenterPoint or BSA so you can just exchange it locally when it breaks. I'm not trying to trash either brand - I'm speaking from experience.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would not buy any of BSA's electronic stuff. I've seen several break. If you want a cheap red dot, I'd ger a Primary Arms at a minimum. He sells his stuff with mounts that fit pic rails and his products are pretty tough. If it will truly fit on a weaver (and you have enough space on your pic rail) then you should be fine.

One word of caution - your irons on the Saiga might not be the same height as AR-15 standard irons so you'll probably want to make sure and then get the lower mount than the lower 1/3 co-witness height for ARs.

If you're dead set on going the cheap route, go to WalMart or Academy and get a CenterPoint or BSA so you can just exchange it locally when it breaks. I'm not trying to trash either brand - I'm speaking from experience.

This^^^^
If I ws going really cheap it would be from walmart. Simply exchange it when it breaks.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really do not care if it breaks after a couple trips to the range. I just want to know if it will work with my poor eyesight before I invest in a good one.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For bad eyesight you might be better off with a lower-powered telescopic sight... like a 2.5x or 4x or something. That's what seems to work best for people with eyesight issues in my experience as an instructor. If you want to go cheap, maybe something like this bad boy right here: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=111503

or here: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=810082

Either one is pretty low profile, so you ought to be able to get it pretty low (which is important on the Saiga).

I had a .308 Saiga with the SVD-style twistable cheek-rest, and that thing was freaking awesome. Twist the cheek rest up for scope use, or pop the scope/mount off the QD side mount and twist the cheek rest back down for iron sights. Worked like a charm.

You can actually get a pretty decent telescopic sight for a very cheap price, and by pretty decent I mean one that will stay attached to your rifle and will probably not break under normal range conditions. The same is not so much true for red dots. I've both witnessed and heard stories of a lot of cheap red dots breaking just from recoil. I would not trust any of the red dots that are in the price range of those scopes I posted. The cheapest red dot I would probably consider is this one here: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=333722

I also hear from people who like to 3-gun on a budget that the Burris red dots are pretty good if you want to spend just a little more.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise on sights guys, but I know what I want to do, I just need to know if it will fit? If it will fit I intend to try the open type red dot and if it is what I want, I will buy a good sight.

So does anyone know if it will work????

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Thought I already answered that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom