Oklahoma American Legion to close Ponca City Children's home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barrett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"We've been looking at it for a while now, and it's just time for the American Legion to get out of the children's home business."

I am sure someone does not go into the children's home business for anything other than to help out. Probably someone somewhere working a deal to end up with the porpery. The children and community lose again.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sad.. but the Legion has been in decline. Those WW1, then WWII era folks who swelled the ranks are gone. Vietnam era and latter vets have never embraced the VFW (nor were they in turn embraced by some accounts) and the whole deal is bound to collapse.

I have been to a few Veterans funerals and heard "Taps" played on a boom box... it's sad when you cannot assemble a Honor Guard in your area anymore.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sad to hear this. My parents were heavily involved with the home back in the 70s. I remember closets full of donated presents that my mom voulenteers to wrap and it left a permanant impression on me for the giving that everyone did to help the kids.

My bet is that there are more than a few of the fine OSA members from Ponca who are sad to hear this news.

AGI

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ponca City is slowly turning into a ghost own. I feel bad for the children but that town has been on a downfall for a few years now...glad I moved away.

Latest posts

Top Bottom