S&W Questions: Model 14-3 in 38 S&W Special CTG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m new to DA revolvers. I have some questions about a piece I bought a while back – part of an estate sale. First the particulars:

- Model 14-3 in .38 S&W SPECIAL CTG
- SN: 6K9XXXX
- 5 ¾” bbl
- Adjustable rear sight
- Grooved back strap, trigger face and bbl top
- Crosshatched and wide hammer spur
- Wood grips that enclose the frame except for the back strap

It was stored in a box with foam rubber packing material for who knows how long. As a result, there are a few “blemishes” in the blue finish. How would I get rid of the blemishes? Dremel rotary tool and cloth buffer? Polishing compound?

I’ve tried to understand the variety .38 caliber cartridges with respect to the 38 S&W Special CTG. But the variety leaves me stumped. I’ve consulted my hand loading manuals without help there either.

So – what is commercially available ammo that is OK in this revolver? Any .38 Special ammo? What about +Ps?

Anything special or remarkable about this piece?

When is the date of manufacture?

Any help is greatly appreciated in advance.

Attachments

• SpringSummer2010 134.jpg
    SpringSummer2010 134.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 565
  • SpringSummer2010 133.jpg
    SpringSummer2010 133.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 592
  • SpringSummer2010 131.jpg
    SpringSummer2010 131.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 663
  • SpringSummer2010 132.jpg
    SpringSummer2010 132.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 772

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First ... Lay the dremel down and step away with your hands up

the "standard" 38 special is supposed to be a 158 grain round nosed lead bullet . Most retailer are stocking a mil spec clone 130 grain Fmj. 148 grain wadcutters are a popular target load also

You will probably find 125 grain hollowpoints around... Some will be marked +p.... They won't hurt your gun. You probably won't want to shoot a steady diet of +p anyway--- recoil and cost being the 2 biggest negatives.

If you can find some very fine copper wool ... That and some oil may lift those spots ... Go easy-- bluing is hard to buff on and real easy to buff off .
That 6Kxxx serial looks to be 1974 production in my source book

The dash 4 change seems to date the gun to '77... SW has a screwy sn system so take your best guess to age. The pinned barrels stopped in '82

I'd expect to pay over $285-300 for that SW as represented in those photos ... Good find... Enjoy!

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HAHAHA! OK - got it.

Picked it up for a Franklin... :D

$100?!!!! I got some B*A*D names I am calling you right now....:w000t:

You did good.. shoot it in good health... I are jealous and that dont happen often!

Take my reloading advice for what it is... works in my guns but I dont know about yours... 6... maybe 6.5 grains of uniqe under a 158 grain cast bullet worked pretty good for me... it's been a long time and my notes are in storage. Any manual should have a slew of 38 special loads you could try.

xrd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 14 is called the "k-38 Target Masterpeice". -3 means relocation of rear sight screw from previos model. 6k9 puts it leaving the factory in 1975. The 5 inch barrel 5 inch is rare and brings a premium price, if it wasn't rebarreled or cut down. Feed it a diet of 38 wadcutter or semi wadcutter ammo, it's a very accurate gun. If you want to shoot full house loads ... Buy another gun to shoot cause this one is too good.

The photo looks like a 6 inch barrel, more common. You got a smoken deal. I would get a rag and oil, that has a rust preventative, and lightly go over the rust.
[Broken External Image]

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Its a 6" barrel, as to what she'll shoot, just about any .38spl loading. She's meant to be a target revolver, so stick to standard loadings in .38spl, and she will last a lifetime. As to cleaning, some oil and a green pad will take care of the light rust, and take her to the range to work her, she'll pay you in spades at the range.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
$100! wow, those deals don't happen often. the masterpeice smiths are awesome. shoot, shoot and shoot some more. IMO, the target guns LOVE low pressure rounds like wadcutters. the accuracy can be impressive.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say stay away from +p rounds, you can shoot them but they tend to knock springs loose inside of guns that are not specifically designed to shoot them.

You have a target gun there so stick with low power target rounds.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
AWESOME deal for an awesome gun!

Either buy, or load your own low power semi wadcutter or full wadcutter rounds, and enjoy it at the range. With those type of loads, you'll likely never wear it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom