Need some input on a gun safe.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
get the largest one you can afford... preference is plain dial tumbler vs electronic.

don't try to move yourself, unless you are equipped and are used to moving 500lb+ heavy objects. Sam's recommended a mover that did most of their safes. He only charged $75 ... but I paid him $150 gladly.

bolt safe to your floor for extra security. found mine at Sam's wholesale for $650

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
get the largest one you can afford... preference is plain dial tumbler vs electronic.

don't try to move yourself, unless you are equipped and are used to moving 500lb+ heavy objects. Sam's recommended a mover that did most of their safes. He only charged $75 ... but I paid him $150 gladly.

bolt safe to your floor for extra security. found mine at Sam's wholesale for $650

Hate to admit it, but I'm moving to the plain dial tumbler in the future. I got the electronic. Real good at keeping the safe closed. Not real good at opening when I punch in the combination. And yes, even with fresh batteries and it is a name brand electronic pad.

I will second also the "get the largest you can afford". You will fill it up. Might not all be guns, but you will fill it up.

If you have a home security system, have them run a line thru the wall behind the safe BEFORE you have the safe put in. Then have the line run into the safe in a manner that it can't be seen.

My safe has a small hole in the floor for chords and stuff. Run the extension cord thru it BEFORE you have it set in place and bolted to the floor. Even if you don't think you will need it. You will.

Dave

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I done quite a bit of shopping and research before I finally settled on the safe I have now. I have heard good things about bear safes and have nothing at all bad to say about them, but they were a little out of my price range. I checked out all of the liberty, cannon, etc...and found them to be lacking. I finally ended up purchasing a Dakota safe from security systems in Tulsa. I got a scratch & Dent one (had small painting flaw that you cannot see) for the same price as Liberty & Cannon, but is much stronger, better built and has a higher fire rating. It's been a few months, but I believe I paid $600 for it. They had a larger one for $800 in the bargain area as well, not sure they have any left though.

I got a tumbler lock with mine. I've considered changing it out for digital, simply out of convenience. However, after hearing some of the stories about digital, I'm still undecided.

Keep in mind that when you get a safe, it doesn't mean that nobody will be able to get into it. Some are just better built and it will make it a helluva lot harder for someone or something to get to.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
bought a Fatboy JR for just under a grand at Atwoods. It's a 48 gun safe and has a decent fire rating. I'm pretty sure that if you truly intend to hold 20-30 guns your going to need something at least this big. If it says it will hold 30 guns, you will probably get half that when you start putting scoped rifles and such in it. If you own 30 22's or lever actions without optics, you'll probably be fine.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My safe has a small hole in the floor for chords and stuff. Run the extension cord thru it BEFORE you have it set in place and bolted to the floor. Even if you don't think you will need it. You will.

Dave

I dont know about putting holes in a safe. What would one use this for?

Sooner67

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a Liberty Fatboy thats hold 64 guns,great safe.Bought it at Sportsworld about 2 years ago for $1200 on sale couldnt turn it down for that price.Buy big save money and time in the long run...

Latest posts

Top Bottom