Filling out Form 1 for multi-caliber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laubage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OSA gurus,

I am filling out a Form 1 for an AR-15 SBR and I plan on putting a 10.5" 223 upper on it, but I was also hoping to have the freedom down the line to put a 9mm upper (which is probably shorter than 10.5") on it if I wanted to. How should I fill out my Form 1 to get that approved?

Laubage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if I have 10.5" 223 listed on my Form 1 and I get pulled over transporting a 7" 9mm AR, that will not get me in trouble at all?

I guess I've just heard varying stories, with some saying that you can't go shorter than than what is listed on your Form 1, can't switch calibers... etc.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if I have 10.5" 223 listed on my Form 1 and I get pulled over transporting a 7" 9mm AR, that will not get me in trouble at all?

I guess I've just heard varying stories, with some saying that you can't go shorter than than what is listed on your Form 1, can't switch calibers... etc.

As long as you can return your weapon to the configuration listed on the Form 1, all other configurations are just temporary and are allowed. If you permanently change your primary configuration then you just send a letter to ATF with the new primary configuration's caliber and length (I have done this 3 times myself). You will eventually get a letter back from them saying thanks for keeping the registry accurate and that your new configuration is entered. ATF used to accept multiple lengths and calibers on the form, but no longer do. I would not worry about this too much. In all the years I have been envolved in NFA stuff I have never heard of anyone ever having the slightest problem with the weapon not exactly matching the form (other than serial #).

Latest posts

Top Bottom