Question about quartering and deboning in the field

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the last deer i shot i did the online check through my phone. Once i had my conformation number i dressed the deer out. I then quartered her and deboned the loins, back strap and a bit of neck meat and placed it in a cooler. I drug the carcass into the brush. Was there anyhing wrong with this? A friend of mine told me that you hqve to remove the entire deer from the field. Problem was i was staying in a motel for a few days and the cooler was my only option so once checked online my cooler in my truck bed was my final destination

Any input or comments

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/deerregs.htm

From the regs:

No person may dump the carcass of any dead animal in any well, spring, pond, or stream of water or leave it within 1/4 mile of any occupied dwelling or public highway without burying the carcass in an appropriate manner where it is not liable to become exposed through erosion of the soil or where such land is subject to overflow.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/deerregs.htm

From the regs:

No person may dump the carcass of any dead animal in any well, spring, pond, or stream of water or leave it within 1/4 mile of any occupied dwelling or public highway without burying the carcass in an appropriate manner where it is not liable to become exposed through erosion of the soil or where such land is subject to overflow.

As a GW explained this to me, the law about wanton waste was from people fishing below dams that threw carcasses of carp and gar on the bank to the point it became a health hazard.

Common sense tells us that dumping a carcass of any animal into a watershed is not only stupid, but should be procecuted, as the rotting waste just goes downstream.

Somewhere downstream, the ecology that supports wildlife is going to be affected.

You may think that chunking a deer carcass into a creek bottom is only going to affect somebody down stream and you really don't care.........think about the a-holes upstream from you doing the same thing, and think about how its going to affect your personal outdoors experience.

Anybody doing this deserves all the tickets, fines, that the law allows.:censored:

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope you did fine. We saw where the people hunt on the next plot over put their carcasses and within two days there was absolutely nothing left after the birds/coyotes or whatever got a hold of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom