Do you think the rut was early, on time, or late in your area of OK this year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The rut this year was [blank], culminating in pairing/mating on [these days]?

• Early; Nov 9, 10, 11, 12, 13.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • On-time/Ordinary; Nov 14, 15, 16, 17, 18.

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Late; Nov 19, 20, 21, 22, 23.

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Have no idea

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters
Reaction score
See poll. Vote in poll. Discuss vote in poll.

I'm trying to nail down the most likely best time to hunt the 2nd rut.

Also, if you vote other than "I have no idea", please tell us what part of the state, and what your vote is.

Also, if you know, when is the 2nd rut usually? It is closer to 25, 30, or 35 days after the first rut? Thanks.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The mating was on time and the second breeding will be 30 days after the full moon in November. This puts it at Christmas and a nice Christmas present indeed. Doe down.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I can honestly say I didnt see it... I hunted 3-5 days a weeks all of november and never saw a single buck chasing a doe. Saw bucks and saw doe but no rutting activity. The only reason I think it feel on time is i had a couple good bucks show up on cams checking feeders for doe every night starting after muzzleloader. I am hunting in NE ok by Nowata and the deer in my area have been super nocturnal and with the warm weather all my activity probably happened at night.

DownDeep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunted every Friday, sat, and sunday since Oct 1st. I didn't see any chasing in my area until yesterday 11/27. It blew up Saturday and seen 4 Differant bucks chasing by 8:15am.... Really late this year at my hunting spot!

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't saw any evidence of there even being a rut in NE OK. Does were even still running together today. No bucks in sight. No chasing...Nothing. They're acting the same now as they were Oct 1st.

Texas deeraholic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted on time, but have seen lots of activity for a few weeks. first started seeing a lot of chasing the first week of nov. on tuesday the 2nd I saw a monster 9pt. He was following a doe at a distance. the doe was within 10yds. but the buck was at about 60yds. when the doe decided she didn't like my decoy and ran. He followed her and only stoped for a few seconds to look back when I grunted at him. The next day, I rattled in a 3 1/2 yr. old 9pt. He ran in full speed to about 30 yds. from my stand. No decoy that day, so he looked around then walked off. I had a doe come in a little later and she was followed by a young buck who was grunting and chased her off pretty quickly. On Friday the 5th. I stalked and rattled. At one spot I found a huge rub, but only rattled in a young 8pt. I put up a pop up blind in that spot and hunted there the next weekend. I used the decoy and made a mock scrape. On the 13th I grunted and rattled in 13 different deer in the morning but no shooters. I even had one young 8pt. run in and spend about 15min. scraping the ground, rubbing small trees, and even making false charges at my decoy to show it who was boss. I also saw young bucks chase does twice that day. I sat late and took out a spike to get a little meat the next day. last saturday in the morning (Nov.20th) I had to put the rattle bag down quickly as a group of 9 does and fawns came running in full speed to see what they thought was a fight. I only saw one buck that morning, but he was right behind a doe grunting every time he took a step. That night I sat over a feeder and had 2 does and 4 fawns right under me when I started hearing grunting. A nice 3 1/2 yr. old 10pt. came in. I had put out some doe estrus scent and he was trying to smell every deer there to see who was in estrus. I had him at 20yds. and even came to full draw with the top pin on him. Then I asked myself if I wanted to spend the money to have him mounted. I let him go because he was just a hair away from being ready for the wall. The next morning was slow due to the temperature rising and the full moon. I only saw one 1 1/2yr. old buck. I stayed home this weekend for Thanksgiving stuff with the family. I saw good activity from the 2nd through the 20th though, and heard things were still going strong earlier this week. I know I'll have to switch up my game plan next weekend. I'll probably go back to hunting over corn more. Oh, I'm hunting in Atoka county. in the south east part of the state.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was on time for our area. Peak of the rut was the last days of archery before gun season. Its been going down hill ever since. Pretty much over now, with only a few still chasing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom