AMT Backup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimktm520

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you OSA people have any experience with any of the old AMT Backup's? I have collected a couple of 45's and will be smoothing them up over the holidays but would rather gather data first before hitting them with crocus cloth, dremel tool and India stones!

FenixTxM3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 380 once, worst pos ever. 50% of the time i would get a ftf the other 50% i would get a fte. From what I have read online in the past is that its hit or miss with these guns, either they work flawlessly or your better off using it as a paper wait. I think a new company in Texas is manufacturing these now, I'm not sure if they have taken care of these problems yet.

RG22lr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had several of the bigger cal DAO the best advice I can give is don't dry fire them the firing pins are prone to break. Hi Standard sells them now so parts are available. Hope this helps. Dennis

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a couple of the little 380's.
They were good guns.
Still have one the wife likes shooting.
No problems with any of mine.

You might do a google search.
There's lots of info out there.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pocket carry my 380 when I am out and about. I've put about 100 down the pipe with no problems, but mine was probably 20 years old when I got it.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one of the older little .380 Backups, it was a great little gun after I polished the feed ramp and other metal to metal surfaces. Once I did that, I had no problems whatsoever with it.

I liked mine, but I have such a big palm print that I had to make sure my thumb knuckle or palm of my hand were out of the way before I would shoot it. So I decided it was time to upgrade.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I Have one of the .380's, I bought new in about 1985 or 86. It has always worked flawlessly for me. I'll agree with JCW355, They are a pain to disassemble, have to drive the pin out to get them apart. The grip is very short. I always have to make sure my hand is clear, it only took one time of not noticing my hand had ridden up to high, to make sure you check every time after that. :(

Nightops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a .380 in single action that was cleaned up and duracoated. I don't shoot it much, because they are a PITA to detail strip.

It does fit nicely with a spare mag inside a cigar box lined with pick-n-pluck foam though :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom