Close Pistol Combat...a reality of CCW holders?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccpatrick

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Let's face it. If your life is in danger, odds are the bad guy is going to be within 5 yards. The necessity of knowing close combat pistol defense is critical. I've been googling, watching videos and practicing drills regularly and here are a few useful links I have found. Please post your thoughts and links.

Techniques

Video

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice video. I particularly like how all of the 'assailants' initiated the action then just sort of stood around waiting to get shot. Makes for a good example of the trainers obvious skill at arms. :scratch:

In all seriousness think about it. The purpose of a CCW is to defend yourself, possibly the loved ones around you. It's not a junior G-man badge to go getting involved in things you should not have your nose stuck into in the first place.

For the most part the use of a CCW will involve a direct, PERSONAL confrontation of some sort such as robber, assault, carjacking or what have you. Funny thing about those situations is that they tend to lead to somewhat close encounters. A dirtbag yelling "HEY *******! GIVE ME YOUR WALLET NOW!!" from across the parking lot doesn't work very well for obvious reasons. As a result you will find that most things of this nature happen at conversational distances which just happens to be about the length of the average car. Ten yards may not be far away but with a pistol it is easy to miss when you are 'over driving your headlights' so to speak.

Will a miss kill you? Maybe not. But the time wasted by missing very well might.

Food for thought.
Ek

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good points... everyone should learn to fire from a compressed ready and do it under supervision in training.

The shorter the gun... the easier it is to break "180" and shoot your self by accident. Indexing the gun with the thumb to the rib... and learning *exactly* where things are pointing as the body rocks and moves is pretty important stuff. Not to mention... all that flash and heat can be a little intense the first time or two you try this kind of shooting.

Lastly... learn to get off the X... a simple side step off the line of attack can do wonders

Ccpatrick

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The shorter the gun... the easier it is to break "180" and shoot your self by accident. Indexing the gun with the thumb to the rib... and learning *exactly* where things are pointing as the body rocks and moves is pretty important stuff. Not to mention... all that flash and heat can be a little intense the first time or two you try this kind of shooting.
Lastly... learn to get off the X... a simple side step off the line of attack can do wonders

Great advice! I don't understand "break 180" though. :scratch:

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great videos! I also think it is equally important to learn weak hand shooting and also wounded man drills. If you don't train to reload with one hand, and your primary gets blown off, you are screwed. Same goes for shooting with your non gun hand...

When we train for close combat shooting, we put our weak hand on our chest and not straight out. Don't want to shoot yourself in the heat of the moment..(accidently of course..:bolt:)

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was watching one of the Wed night shows recently and one of the instructors had a target mounted on a small garden wagon.
He had a rope attached to it and would stand behind you a pull the target towards you.
That seemed like a valueable training tool.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was watching one of the Wed night shows recently and one of the instructors had a target mounted on a small garden wagon.
He had a rope attached to it and would stand behind you a pull the target towards you.That seemed like a valueable training tool.

Creative, practical, easy....Nice! Think I'm going to try that one myself.
I also like the one where you have a dummy (like the boxing ones) mounted on a pivoting base. You stand about 6 inches from it, hit it with your weak hand to create space, then the objective is to draw and fire before it's all the way up again.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice video. I particularly like how all of the 'assailants' initiated the action then just sort of stood around waiting to get shot. Makes for a good example of the trainers obvious skill at arms. :scratch:

In all seriousness think about it. The purpose of a CCW is to defend yourself, possibly the loved ones around you. It's not a junior G-man badge to go getting involved in things you should not have your nose stuck into in the first place.

For the most part the use of a CCW will involve a direct, PERSONAL confrontation of some sort such as robber, assault, carjacking or what have you. Funny thing about those situations is that they tend to lead to somewhat close encounters. A dirtbag yelling "HEY *******! GIVE ME YOUR WALLET NOW!!" from across the parking lot doesn't work very well for obvious reasons. As a result you will find that most things of this nature happen at conversational distances which just happens to be about the length of the average car. Ten yards may not be far away but with a pistol it is easy to miss when you are 'over driving your headlights' so to speak.

Will a miss kill you? Maybe not. But the time wasted by missing very well might.

Food for thought.
Ek
Word.

For the OP, kinda discussed this in your other thread. I'll say the same thing about Gabe Suarez. I don't know much about him other than his unwilling departure from his PD, and his criminal charges. However, some of the things presented don't really jive with what I have been shown/taught. Eg, aiming low when firing mid draw stroke. Pelvic girdle hits may be lethal, but I was taught to aim center of mass. I put my off gun hand in the center of my chest when doing so, or if necessary I us an 'answer the phone' block similar to muay Thai. When they were redirecting the knife in the first clip, he used the palm of his left hand. I was taught this is ALWAY a no no, because if you misjudge your aim and the knife catches you it turns your hand into a flipper. Plus the whole radial artery thing. I had some minor issues with the article too, but it's just a different way of training I guess.

Ccpatrick

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Word.

For the OP, kinda discussed this in your other thread. I'll say the same thing about Gabe Suarez. I don't know much about him other than his unwilling departure from his PD, and his criminal charges. However, some of the things presented don't really jive with what I have been shown/taught. Eg, aiming low when firing mid draw stroke. Pelvic girdle hits may be lethal, but I was taught to aim center of mass. I put my off gun hand in the center of my chest when doing so, or if necessary I us an 'answer the phone' block similar to muay Thai. When they were redirecting the knife in the first clip, he used the palm of his left hand. I was taught this is ALWAY a no no, because if you misjudge your aim and the knife catches you it turns your hand into a flipper. Plus the whole radial artery thing. I had some minor issues with the article too, but it's just a different way of training I guess.

Norman, I don't care if the man is a pedophile, a taliban member or even worse a democrat. His personal life has absolutely nothing to do with the lesson being taught. Every class I've taken condones a pelvic first shot in a close quarters situation. Would you rather have your gun taken away trying to make a perfect shot?

Latest posts

Top Bottom