Silent .22lr Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oklahomabuilder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking for the best silent .22 mag ammo for a Marlin 983t in a .22 win mag. Any suggestions on this would be helpful. What's worked best for others? Just wanting to do a little backyard plinking. Also looking to shoot a Walther P22 with something same/similar in .22lr.

Thanks in advance

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure of your question. You can't shoot 22 LR out of a 22 Magnum.

If you shoot subsonic (most standard velocity), it won't break the sound barrier and will be quieter than high velocity. It wont be silent though. There are rounds that only use the primer to propel the bullet, and are less loud. Gotta be careful to make sure they clear the barrel, and they won't cycle an auto.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The .22 Mag will never be "quiet", even with a suppressor. The Walther will not function correctly with non-high velocity ammo, which will also never be "quiet".

Now add a suppressor to either of those guns and it will substantially reduce the noise, but the .22 Mag will still have a supersonic crack. If you really want quiet for backyard plinking, get a single shot or bolt action .22LR and buy some Remington CB Caps. They're powered by the priming compound only, are subsonic and even without a suppressor, they're quieter than many air rifles.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot subsonics in a Walther P-22 with a SWR Warlock . It functions about 97% of the time. It is pellet rifle quiet. You are right the high velocity ammo will crack down range.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CB caps even in a revolver are noisy, sounds like a firecracker. The same CB caps in a single shot rifle are hollywood quiet, I bought 500rds of Colibi CB caps when I stocked up on .22 ammo and You can plink in the backyard without disturbing the neighbors with a single shot.

FWIW it is still discharging a firearm so if in the city limits you have been warned.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so let me get this straight. A .22lr rifle would be a lot quieter than a .22 win mag rifle. Am I correct in assuming this?

Thanks

SIGNIFICANTLY quieter! Velocities on .22 Mag out of a 20" barrel are around 1900 fps. A .22 LR can run from 900-1600 depending on load. The speed of sound is nominally around 1080 fps. Any time you go over that, you'll get a supersonic crack from the bullet. That can be as noisy or noisier than the report from the gunpowder.

If you want quiet, you need to stay subsonic.

oklahomabuilder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SIGNIFICANTLY quieter! Velocities on .22 Mag out of a 20" barrel are around 1900 fps. A .22 LR can run from 900-1600 depending on load. The speed of sound is nominally around 1080 fps. Any time you go over that, you'll get a supersonic crack from the bullet. That can be as noisy or noisier than the report from the gunpowder.

If you want quiet, you need to stay subsonic.

Sounds good to me. Now I just need to get a .22lr rifle. Eyeballing a Marlin 925r.

Latest posts

Top Bottom