+p+

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swickey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a new hand gun to carry with me at work.

I am the owner of the company so there wont be any problem with company rules and having a firearm..

I was told that 9mm with +p+ ammo shot just about the same as using a 357sig. Any one know anything about this?? If this is true i would much rather carry a small 9mm on me and keep something in the truck a little bigger.

swickey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on the load, but out of equal length barrels, yes. The .357 Sig holds an edge, but not by much percentage wise.

So i guess my bottom line Q is this.. If i have to shoot someone i don't want them to get up.. Will a +P+ round do this.. I have had buddy's tell me ER stories of seeing people WALK into the ER with 9mm rounds in them.

I hope to never have to shoot someone but there have been times that we loaded up and left because of the danger where we were working and will always do that but if something were to happen i want all my guys going home at the end of the day.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
So i guess my bottom line Q is this.. If i have to shoot someone i don't want them to get up.. Will a +P+ round do this.. I have had buddy's tell me ER stories of seeing people WALK into the ER with 9mm rounds in them.

I hope to never have to shoot someone but there have been times that we loaded up and left because of the danger where we were working and will always do that but if something were to happen i want all my guys going home at the end of the day.

Contrary to popular folk-lore, there is no round (short of explosive) that you can hit someone in the last joint of their pinky finger and instantly kill them... EVERY TIME!

You have to hit something vital.

If a 9mm round wouldn't kill them wherever it is it hits, it's more than likely a +p+ round, or .45 acp, or .454 casull wouldn't either.

I could see under extreme circumstances a more powerful round making the difference, ie, heavy clothing and hitting a rib or the sternum stopping the bullet before it reaches vitals.

All that said, if my gun were capable of handling +p+, that's what I would use for defensive rounds.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some Army research done a century ago is still valid:
A cannon ball striking a person is a guaranteed one-shot stop, and nothing much short of that is. Maybe the .50 MG.
No handgun will incapacitate on sheer size and power, and you have to hit something vital.

Most small 9mm handguns do not benefit greatly by +P+ unless you just like lots of noise and flash, and it voids the warranty on most (no SAAMI standards for +P+). A 4" barrel or more is more likely to benefit from more powder, if the gun can take it.

Even the vaunted .45 ACP has documented cases where a person took a full magazine in hits and still had to be clubbed to the ground, so there are no magic guns or ammunition.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much what NK and Rod have said already.

My opinion is you'd be better served practicing regularly and lots of it.
Some good training from a reputable instructor might be adviseable also.

You can blow peoples toes off all day long and not be much better off than with a pocket knife so to speak.

swickey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you NK,Rod and Old Fart.. That was the info i was looking for.. I have been told lots of things by lots of people and needed a little more then a story that was nothing more then he said she said info . I think i will buy a 9mm and add it to the guns i have..

Thank you all for you're input

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Some Army research done a century ago is still valid:
A cannon ball striking a person is a guaranteed one-shot stop, and nothing much short of that is. Maybe the .50 MG.
No handgun will incapacitate on sheer size and power, and you have to hit something vital.

Most small 9mm handguns do not benefit greatly by +P+ unless you just like lots of noise and flash, and it voids the warranty on most (no SAAMI standards for +P+). A 4" barrel or more is more likely to benefit from more powder, if the gun can take it.

Even the vaunted .45 ACP has documented cases where a person took a full magazine in hits and still had to be clubbed to the ground, so there are no magic guns or ammunition.

^^This..

shot placement and accuracy!!!!

^^And..... This!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom